I'm worried. Over a period of 2-3 years I've had this recurring problem...

I get this irritation on the opening to my vagina. It's VERY tiny...it looks like a small cut. It starts out as a tiny red cut in my skin, but then over a week or two it becomes a slightly raised, white bump surrounded by 3-4 other tiny cuts. It's always in the same area, and it randomly itches. Sometimes it doesn't itch at all, sometimes the sensation is unbearable. The weird thing is, there's no funny odor at all. There's no discharge. Other than the cut/bump, there's nothing else going on.

What's even weirder is that after a few weeks the bump usually just goes away, as do the tiny cuts surrounding it. I'll go 6-7 months without this happening again, but then after a period of time it comes back. I've had my gyno do a pap smear and run tests on me. She couldn't find anything. Whatever it is, it did not show up as an STD. My gyno suggested that it might be some sort of allergy, so I switched from using scented shaving cream and feminine wash to unscented ones. It helped a little, but the problem still kept happening...it would go away then come back.

My gyno was about to perform a biopsy on the bump about 8 months ago, but before the surgery the bump went away and my vulva looked perfectly normal. I actually stopped worrying about it, but then about a week ago the stupid thing came back...whatever it is. My gyno has no idea what it is. :( Has anyone else experienced something similar? I've searched the web for possibilities, but no STD/infection I've read about matches the symptoms I've experienced.

I'm seriously worried because it's like some sort of unsolved mystery and I'm wondering if it's something serious. Again, there's no discharge or funny odor. It's a bump that appears on the same spot every 6 or so months. You wouldn't notice it was there unless you really looked at it. Can anyone help me? Thank you...

Has your doctor tested you for Herpes? It sounds like it could be genital herpes, which would explain the recurrences, and why they are always in the same spot. The virus goes dormant in specific cells, and will re-emerge when you get tired, stressed, run-down, etc. I would say the next time this occurs, get a sample from the blemishes tested for herpes right away, if it hasn't been done before. Make sure they test for HSV-1 and HSV-2! Good luck!

-C.

She took a sample last time and tested for Herpes but nothing came out. It doesn't blister or anything. Should I have her test it again??

Ok, it's probably not Herpes then, however, there is another virus that causes similar symptoms to herpes, it is the Molluscum contagiosum virus, it's a member of the poxvirus family, so like other poxviruses, it will form bumps that itch. In adults it targets the genitals and inner thigh region, and can be transmitted sexually, as well as from contact with a contaminated object (think towels, etc.). It can be recurring, so it's possible that since you were tested for herpes, and it's not that, that it could be this. Do you know if she tested for this virus when she took a sample? If not, don't worry, this particular virus only causes the little bumps to appear, and it's can't spread beyond your skin. Here is a link for more information on this virus: ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I hope this helps!

-C.

I don't think she's tested me for that, I'll ask her about it! Thank you!!!!

Glad to help! I hope this gets solved!

-C.