I think that skin grafts are great. They can be split thickness or full thickness. They can be gathered from sites that are hidden, the groin, and the axillae. I even saw some old data which suggests that skin grafts are even superior to regional flaps if you look at hospital stay, return to oral diet, and overall complication rate. . .I actually saw a guy who did skin graft of a tongue lesion.

I agree that the simplest way to close a wound besides primary closure and secondary attention is skin grafts. The advantages are numerous: they are easy to harvest, it takes a small amount of additional operating time, they are incredibly versatile, and they do for the most part preserve function, and they can even survive postoperative radiotherapy. I think in both cases split thickness and full thickness. However, the major disadvantages with skin grafts are that they contract and they lack bulk.