Celebrity

I got the Clarisonic skin brush recently after having heard that it's absolutely fantastic. I figured spending that money was worth it if it would cleanse my skin so much better, and also reduce wrinkles and help with the dry areas of skin I have on my cheeks. I generally have pretty sensitive and extremely light Scandinavian/Scottish skin and I was hoping that this brush would do all the awesome things people say it does. The thing is, it has actually caused breakouts for me, or so I think. The feeling of the brush itself is pretty harsh as well. I hate to think I spent so much money on a product that just isn't right for my skin, but it looks like that's exactly what is happening. Does anyone else have this experience and is there any way to salvage my Clarisonic experience?

Hey,

I have had the Clarisonic since it first came out, which is a long time now. I have never felt that it irritated or even exfoliated my skin. Some people say it is an exfoliator, but that isn't true. One thing you do need is lots of water to make sure it works properly and penetrates the deeper layers of your skin. If you haven't been applying water, than that is what you could be doing wrong. I have tried with less water and a bit of cleanser but don't get the same results at all.

That said, if you just got it and it is not working for you, can't you just return it?

M.

I have the Clarisonic Mia and I am happy with it. When I first started using it everyone commented about how good my skin looked so it was clearly helping :). It allows my makeup to settle in better after I use it and it doesn't irritate my skin or make it more sensitive at all. I use the brush head for acne and find it soothing and not too harsh at all. I am kind of surprised you have this experience...

Hi!

I see what you mean. The Clarisonic Mia can be a very helpful tool but keeping in mind that they say you can use it twice daily, that is just too much. Though some people say that the Clarisonic is NOT an exfoliating tool, it's hard to see it as anything else. Exfoliating too much (especially if you also use other products to go along with it, which I am guessing you do) is not good. Yes, it will dry out the skin too much, and cause irritation and inflammation. That is what you mean when you say the Clarisonic is too harsh on your skin I assume. I wouldn't stop using it completely, but just use it less often, like two or three times a week instead of every day and even twice a day. Of course it is tempting to play with your new toy more often, but my guess is that you will see a huge improvement when you cut down, and you will see it benefits rather than harms your skin.

I got the Magnitone as a present, and I understand the Clarisonic brush is something very similar? Magnitone has four different settings. For daily use I just use the Deep Clean setting and that is working out fine. The great thing is that it has different functions, you can use it on your body and it even helps with ingrown hairs from shaving and with razor burn. If you are thinking about exchanging the Clarisonic perhaps this is something you could get instead. It took me less than seven days to first see the difference and I will never do skincare without any more!

My daughter has a Clarisonic brush. She loves it and her skin looks amazing. So I asked to borrow it. Guess what? The first time I tried it out, I ended up with broken capillaries and redness as well as dry areas. Unfortunately, the broken capillaries will not go away on their own and would need to be fixed by a dermatologist. And that was with the very gentlest brush as well. So yes, I'm not a fan to put it mildly.

Regards,

Grace

I have been using the Olay brush and when I first got it, I instantly saw that it did a much better job of removing makeup, especially foundation. After using it faithfully for two years, it did break. I considered the Clarisonic instead but, as I was proscrastinating on what to buy I noticed the blackheads returned and I just went out and got another Olay brush. It's not very expensive and very much appreciated around here!

Just came back from the mall and saw that Braun has a similar kind of thing. Was curious so I asked them "is this like that Clarisonic brush then?" And the lady at the counter said no, it's not like the Clarisonic, it's actually an epilator as well as an exfoliating/skin care/makeup removal thingie. This one comes in two different kinds. One that's got the one brush and one that's got two brushes. They're either pink or purple, and the one with two brushes is meant to be good for sensitive skin as well as cellulite. Alright, so I don't usually go for that kind of thing but I remembered reading about it here and the brush really did feel nice and gentle. 

Does anyone know anything about the thing? 

Here are some tips to make the Clarisonic work for you:

- Make sure you remove your makeup prior to using the Clarisonic. You don't want to rub more makeup into the deeper layers of your skin.
- If you see redness and other unwanted side effects, your skin is telling you that you have been overdoing things with the Clarisonic. Back off!!! Use it less.
- Take the Clarisonic out of the bathroom because it may get contaminated with things you don't want on your skin. (Eeeew.)
- The Clarisonic probably isn't for you if you have rosacea, eczema, or are using topical anti acne meds.

Yes, that sounds familiar. I too bought a Mia a few years back when it was on special offer. It gave me cystic acne, which I had never had before, and I only wanted it to give my face a deep clean! At first I thought that it was a side effect of being a first time user and my skin just needed time to readjust. So I kept it for the full trial period, but when it was up, I returned it. It took my skin about a month to return to normal even after I stopped using the Mia and I say that as someone who doesn't have unusually sensitive skin. I'm not going to try anything remotely similar either, thanks. I will just stick to the old cleanser and occasional exfoliating. That works fine for me. My only advice to you is to return your Mia without guilt and never to look back!

Clarisonic was a disaster for me as well. I suffer from cystic acne and became convinced that this deep cleaning method would be my ticket to clearer skin. I was wrong. The Clarisonic only irritated my skin. I later asked a dermatologist about it (I went on accutane in the end) and she said she would never recommend it for people with skin problems. It might be useful for people who have great skin anyway, but I returned mine and looked for other ways to deal with my cystic acne instead.

Here are some mistakes that can make Clarisonic not work for you. Are you making any of them?

- You are using it too often. They say you can use it twice a day, but for some people that is just too much. Try once every two days and listen to your skin.
- You are using the wrong brush. Not all brushes are right for every skin type, which is why you get 9 of them. If you are not sure which one to use, ask them. They know.
- You really need to replace the brush every three months, and you need to clean it properly after use.
- You aren't supposed to press it hard into the skin. This is a very common mistake to make, and of course it will irritate your skin. Yes, the brush needs to touch your skin. No, you do not need to be applying pressure. Gently does it!

I am actually assuming that you are doing at least some of these things wrong, and the putting pressure is a very common thing to be doing, so really check yourself there. I hope these tips will help you love your Clarisonic, because when used right it is truly one of the best skincare tools out there.