I had a small lump under skin in fold of middle finger, saw clinic,state dr took an x-ray.  That was it.  This was 4 years ago.  During that time, the thing travelled further to the fatty part of the finger.  I used wart paint, tried everything you can imagine.  Saw a dr, gave me a script for Aldara, but I did not get it.  I have not been able to afford to see a skin specialist/dermatologist.  Been treating it myself.  What's been happening over the past +- 2 months is (apologies this is "gross"), but lots of hair, long strands, came out, also little hard black specks like hard pepper or ground coffee, also other stuff, maybe old dead, hard pus.  Finger pains, been hell.  Sat up for hrs again today, applied aloe plant, massaged it with coconut oil and tissue oil (soya) and more stuff came out, also over time about a week ago, a long white stalk came out, looked like a pine or prickly pear needle or bottle brush bristle.  This has been the worst thing in my life for me.  Now seem to have arthritis in hand.  Surely, the state hospital or student drs there could have cleaned it out.  I can go back to the clinic for them to refer me to Minor Surgery at the state hospital.  I have prayed, shed many tears, without exaggeration, not on medical insurance, people are praying.

I hope that they found out what it is!  Let us know what they say.

A very long splinter came out, I helped it by massaging it till this long needle like thing came out, I have nasty arthritis in hand now, though, it was lodged in finger for 4 years (the thorn)

Who is the "they" you are referring to? I am a state patient, the local clinic and skin clinic at Groote Schuur Government hospital, have done NOTHING - sweet blow all about it and I also have a slow healing lower limb graft, had op 3 years ago! Thing still oozing - so it goes ..

With all respect state health did zero, left me to suffer and did not clean out the lump in fold of my finger, even this evening still, bits of hair and substance coming out - gradually starting to be able to bend the finger again - not being personal, but why are they allowing a poor state pensioner to suffer like this? (Makes me wonder ..) Surely, minor surgery could have cleaned it, why allow me to like like this since 2010?