am a high school resource teacher, and I work one-on-one with students all day. Basically, that means that I talk non-stop all day.

I am scheduled for a tonsillectomy on Tuesday May 5, and I have told my immediate supervisor that I will need a substitute teacher for one week. She offered to book someone for longer than that, but since my doctor told me that I would need to take a week off work I thought that would be enough.

This weekend, I spoke with my sister who had a tonsillectomy a number of years ago. She thinks that given my line of work that I'd be crazy to go back to work after 1 week - Tuesday May 12 (there would be 4 remaining work days in that week). She feels that I should schedule my substitute now for those extra 4 days.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from those who have had first hand experience with a tonsillectomy.

I am on day 8 and there is no way I could go back to work anytime soon.

I had originally planned on taking only 7 work days off for my tonsillectomy (3/26/09), but I too work in a field that requires a lot of talking (counseling)--the Friday I was supposed to go back to work, I called the ENT nurse and asked her opinion, based on my pain level (and my scabs were only starting to come off). She recommended another two days off, so I went back to work the next Weds.--even that was too soon. I ended up talking so much that my throat, for which I hadn't taken anything for pain for 3 days prior, was in agony all over again. I ended up needing the rest of that week off.

OK, enough about me--bottom line, if I were you, I would take an extra week off. It's hard to say when the scabs will come off, and you can't force them to come off. Also, they say that your breath during this time is the worst (mine was personally worst right after the surgery and the few days after that), so think about having that at work, too.... If anything, this board has taught me to prepare for the worst and enjoy it when it's not as bad as you thought it'd be. :-)

Just my two cents...