Hi, I have recently started to go to the gym. My intention is to shape up and get nicely toned muscles. I have talked to a trainer in the gym and he has put together a workout program for me. The exercises are great, but I especially enjoy the rowing machine. Could you tell me for what muscle group is rowing machine good? Can I use it more than my instructor has planed?

Hi, rowing machine is the best peace of equipment in the gym for me too. I think it is great for your entire body. While you row you activate your arms' and legs' muscles as well as your abs. So you get to tone a large group of muscles in only one exercise. And the best thing is that you can control what muscles you want to work the most. Also, this is a great aerobic exercise. The number of calories you can burn on rowing machine cannot be matched with any other bodybuilding machine. Because your desire is to get toned, rowing machine is a great way to shape your muscles. And if you decide to go further and try bulk them the rowing machine can be used for this as well. But, no matter how much you enjoy the rowing machine, you shouldn't use it more than your trainer instructed. You can cause damage to your knees and lower back if you overwork the rowing machine.