Hi, I have started going to the gym two weeks ago. I workout every second day, since the instructor at the gym told me this is the optimum frequency for a guy that has just started to work out. If it was up to me, I would have satisfied with two times a week. I am saying this because the first two workouts have been really intense for me, but now I am starting to get the hang of it. However, there is one exercise that I don't get. It is a close grip incline bench exercise. The instructor has told me that this is the exercise for my triceps muscles, but I don't feel them working at all when I am doing this exercise. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Could you help me get the best out of the close grip incline bench?

Hi, I think it is great you have decided to do something good for yourself. Working out will not only help you to improve your looks, but your overall health will get better too. This will have a great impact on your everyday life. First of all, I have to say that you should feel free to talk to the trainer at the gym about everything that concerns you, when it comes to your workout routine. However, I have a feeling that since you are new to this, you feel reluctant to ask everything that interests you. And your instructor should have also noticed if you are doing something wrong in your exercises. The close grip incline bench has primarily been designed for the triceps muscles. But, because the movement during the exercise is very complex, you feel the pressure in almost your entire upper body. The trick in doing this exercise is to hold the barbell with a close grip. This means that your hands are in a slightly narrower position than your shoulders when you hold the barbell. If the hands are too apart you might feel that your triceps are not working as they should during this exercise. I think that this might be your problem. Again, I have to say if you have any more doubts about any of your exercises feel free to talk to the instructor at your gym.