I had lower colon resection 5 months ago due to diverticulitis.  Bowel movements are not my problem although what I eat can easily upset my stomach. My main problem is severe rectal pain that comes and goes. The pain may occur every 5 to 10 minutes and then let's. It feels like a spasm but I am not sure. This is been going on for about four months. I have tried anti-spasmodics and an antidepressant for nerve pain. Nothing has worked. Sometimes I have to take as many as three extra strength Tylenol and Aleve to get relief. Have any of you had this problem, and what did you do about it?

Hello, Tfiles.  I am sorry to hear about your problem.  I have had episodes of this in the past but they usually only lasted about 1 minute each time.  I may have 2 spasms in a 5 minute period.  How long are your spasms?  Causes of rectal spasms can be irritation from diarrhea, constipation, anal fissures, prescription drugs, and rectal ulcers.  If you take metoclopramide, trimethobenzamide, or valium, you should see about changing medications.  Possible medications and treatments can be prescribed:  botulinum toxin,  pudendal nerve block, or calcium channel blockers.  You may want to ask your doctor about them.  Good luck to you.

Has anyone else have this problem and if so, what did you have done for it?