Hello, guys. My brother has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. One of his main problems is spasticity. I would like to know how to deal with this. Is surgery a good solution in the treatment of this sign in MS? I would really appreciate if someone could tell me something more. Bye!

Hi, there. You haven’t mentioned if your brother has tried other therapy options. The first choice treatment is limb positioning and medications. There are many medications that are used here. Some of them are: Baclofen and Dantrolene. Even benzodiazepines can be used for this purpose. Surgery is reserved when the options above do not give any results. There are some newer methods like injection of Botulinum toxin. Maybe you can ask around that. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!

Hello. My aunt was diagnosed with MS. Spasticity was also her main problem. As far as I know, surgery is taken when medications are not helping. I think that surgery is also recommended for lower limbs spasticity. You should discuss thoroughly about this with your brother’s doctor. Maybe he can still do something with the medications. I am not so into taking surgery measures at once. I hope something will help. Good luck!

Hello, folks. This is a serious issue. I would recommend you to try with Botulinum toxin. I have heard that this is a safe procedure. It also gives results. However, if conventional treatment does not give any results, then your brother can try with surgery. I think that one of the methods is intrathecal administration of Baclofen. Many people could walk after this. I hope your brother will feel better. Bye!