I had just gone to the bathroom at work and it felt like I had period cramps/ gas. I tried to pass gas because it was really starting to hurt and I couldn't. Everything hurt in that region when I tried. Within 15 minutes I had the most severe stabbing pains I have ever felt. By the time I got home I could barley adjust my leg without sending me into spasams of sharp stabbing pains. I also had a huge amout of pressure just behind my tail bone. I know I should've gone to the hospital but if I moved I would start to cry and it made things worse because I used those muscels. It lasted about 4 hours and then I started to feel better. No vomiting, heaad ache, or any other symptom. Ever since then I move the wrong way and I get small stabbing pains and then I am fine. I went to the walk in the next day and they cannot figure anything out! I'm not pregnant, the pain isnt worse, not my appendix, not a cyst. The only thing that seemed to have come out of it, is that its my left abdomen wall. When he pushed on it, it didnt hurt but as soon as he pulled out it hurt so bad. Still the same thing now.

what was it in the end? did you find out?

so what was the diagnosis? what was it? :-|

After about a month of test's, I finally had an ultra sound done and it turns out I have a Hernia in the left side of my abdomen. Nothing is coming through it, just a hole, but its big enough that it is bothering me. I have surgery to repair it on Feb. 14th. Dr believes that I must've done something to irratate it that night to be in so much pain. (Figure'd that out on my own though).

It is just a guess but perhaps pushing really hard trying to pass wind is what irritated your hernia. Straining tends to be the things that makes hernias worse.

OH my god i have had very similar pains for years now, it happens me every month at around the same time, two weeks before my period is due and the pain is immense, i feel very bruised when i push on the side of the pain but like you only when i release the skin after pushing on it. I have always thought it was gynacological and have been told its not cysts or anything else. Could i also have a hernia?
Did you have any other symptoms?

I've just read the post from the person who had the hernia and i've been experiencing almost identical pains too. I would say that this almost unbearable pain occurs in the morning and is so far down in the abdomen that at times I was certain it was gynaelogical. But ther pain also seemed to be pushing somewhere behind my tailbone as with the other person. I also feel that it is linked to needing to go the loo first thing too?? It is so painful at times that I have been unable to move or speak. I've only recently been brave enough to visit the doctor who told me that it was probably IBS and did not prescribe anything. I am a healthy 26 year old female who does not smoke, drink or eat meat so I feel that this pain should be more thoroughly explained. There is a history of bowel and ovarian cancer in my family so I am starting to imagine allsorts. Help!!

I have had severe sharp pains on my Right side even with my belly button. It sometimes stops me in my tracks and shoots a pain to my R ear. It lasts anywhere from 20 min to 30 sec. It has been associated with my menstral cycle, comes more often before and after. Now I feel a achiness on my R side all the time. It's not sharp and stabbing but different. I am a runner and exercise 7 days a week. I have started drinking alot more fluids, forcing myself and I have not had the sharp stabbing pain. The dull pain is still there however. I have had CT's Ultrasounds HIDA scan for gall bladder and everything is normal. They did find lesions in my uterus and they were fairly large. I don't know what the problem is but I was suggested to have a hysterectomy. I don't agree with taking things out that don't need to be. I got a second opinion and the doctor I'm seeing now is wonderful. He does not believe I need a hysterectomy. I have no problems with my menstral cycle. Never have! No cramping no excessive bleeding; nothing. The Doctor I'm seeing now wants to do laproscopy since he did a pelvic and never could create the sharp stabbing pain by manipulating my uterus. He said If it was this it would of created the pain. So now I will see what this brings. My doctor thinks I may have endometriosis.

I'm 15, i get severe pains in the middle of my abdomen. it happens about once a month. this is the second time i've gotten it. I double over in pain and normally it happens after i have eaten. it leads to vomiting. but not blood or anything red. just what ever was in my stomach. i've tried taking antacids but they don't help. Not even my step dad's galvescon(sp?) which he uses when he eats spicy foods due to an ulcear(i think). has anyone else had these symptoms and gotten diagnosed?

I am 16. Just woke up and am experiencing the exact same thing as a few others. I felt like i needed to go to the bathroom.. so i went in there.. and felt the need to pass gas. I did.. but then it hurt soooooooo bad after... and like i needed to again..but couldnt.. i couldnt even push.. it hurt so bad.. and its so far down in my lower abdomen that it feels gynecological too. Like period pains but 100 times worse.
Its slowly starting to go away now. But my lower back hurts too. Ugh. WHAT IS IT?

I am 15 and I woke one night around 4 a.m. with these exact pains. I tried to go to the bathroom, nothing, only felt worse and worse. Around 6 I couldn't take it anymore. The pain was radiating through my body. I was crying and moaning in pain and it felt like something was going to rip through my stomache line. I heard about it being a cyst or a kidney stone, but my mother continues to tell me "it's just your period.." and I know it's not.

I need to know what it is, I really do. It's messing with my period cycle.

To the two teenagers - I know this pain well and mine started just a little younger than you. Look up endometriosis. It can affect your bowels/bladder as well as your reproductive organs. It always caused me to vomit in pain and sometimes pass out..hot flashes, cold sweats, I'd turn green. Almost always the first day or two of my period. Good luck!

OMG to the person above me that has happened to me today and all i do is cry. I dont know what to do or how to go about solving it, but I'm trying to find solutions for it now, if you know anything or if you find out anything about it please let me know.

you should really get it checked out. i had the same symptoms and i had large cysts and very bad pain. im still doing test because they are unable to see my right ovary.

Yesterday, I googled my symptoms, and it brought me to this page. I've been having lower back pain since I started my last period 3 weeks ago. I have also had occasional pain on my left side for the past couple of days... but thought maybe I was just ovulating?
Now, I had stabbing pains in my lower abdomen. It felt like someone was sawing me open with a dull serrated knife, it would go away, but left me feeling like there was a bowling ball in my stomach. Any movement made it worse. I have a lot of food allergies, so I thought maybe it was bad gas? When I had a BM... it killed me. When I peed it hurt just as bad. It hurt worse than a UTI. After I talked to my fiance, he rushed home from work to take me to the ER.

Luckily after 2 hours, the pain became less. They did a pelvic exam, x-rays, pregnancy test, both types of sonograms, blood work... turns out I had a ruptured ovarian cyst. Lucky for me, I do have another cyst, which I will need to follow up on with my regular doctor.

I would highly recommend going to the DR. if you have my same symptoms.