Hi, my sister will have hysterectomy on Tuesday, and I’m worried about her. She will take both uterus and cervix out, because she has a cancer. I would really appreciate if you would share your hysterectomy experiences with me. I need to know what to expect, and how to help my sister after the surgery.

Hello, I had hysterectomy four years ago, when I was 42. It had to be performed, because I had endometriosis that couldn’t be cured with the drugs. The tissue lining the inside of my uterus was growing on my ovaries, and nothing could stop it. After the hysterectomy was done, I had to stay in the hospital for four days, because I was bleeding and they couldn’t send me home earlier. Fortunately, I didn’t have to take out the ovaries as well, so my sexual desire ability maintained. If your sister is going to do a total hysterectomy, I recommend her to be on a fluid diet few days before the surgery, and to take a laxative one day before. Sometimes happens that bowel area is injured during the surgery, so it’s better if her intestines are empty. But every case is different, so it’s the best if she asks her doctor anyway.