Hi, I have had heartburn for years now and thought it was due to my drinking problem. I have given up the drink but still have very bad heartburn that wakes me up most nights. I am now getting very sharp pain down one side of my throat that feels like a hot needle is being pushed from the inside of my throat to the outside, this goes away as quickly as it arrives (a few seconds). This can be anywhere from just below my jaw to just above my collar bone. It only seems to be there when I have the heartburn and doesn't seem to be easing up. It is not like having a sore throat where it hurts to swallow. Can you give me an idea of what it might be? Thanks

What you described sounds to me like the drinking with chronic heartburn have caused the lining of your stomach to get damaged and that, together with such long lasting heartburn, probably have caused damage to your esophagus as well. That condition, the inflammation of esophagus due to persistent stomach acid irritation always causes the pain just like you have described because esophagus is the part of GI system that is closest to your throat. You need to see your doctor so he could give you the treatment for over-acidity, that is the only way to lower the pain heartburn is causing.