I just had a T&A yesterday at 4 pm. Its been almost 24 hours, and I had some questions about my swelling. First of all my uvula is about 4 times the normal size, but my doctor wont give me steroids. Its practically blocking my throat. Is there anything else I can try?(I am on lortab and antibiotics, and have been drinking ice cold water and having Popsicles and ice chips) also, where the uvula connects to the top of my mouth, the right side is much bigger than the left. Is that normal? Also, does anyone know when I will be able to eat things like bread? Im starving!

OK, let's begin with some basic things. Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy are actually a surgery to remove the small glands on each side of the throat and at the top of the throat behind the nose. Now, several other things that you need to know is that it will take some time until you start to eat normally. For example, right after surgery, you should try to get as much as the liquid you can. This will help you get better and it will help you to stay hydrated all the time.  When it comes to bread, you really should wait a little bit. All those things that you are having now are classical adenoidectomy side effects. It is normal to feel this way after surgery.