Well basicly all this started in autumn, for some reason or other i found myself in a negative sad mood, like all the time. Its been 4 years since my parents divorce and i supose it only hit me then that i didint belong to any family. I started becoming more and more paranoid and would acuse my friends of not liking me etc. And sometimes i would feel like i dont know what is real and what is a dream. I could not sleep or eat, when i eat i would feel physically sick. after this came a time when i could not feel nothing at all, no hapyness no sadneess just pure nothingness. before i knew it, winter came and my depresion deepened, i hardly spoke to anyone and started to cut myself, i do not remember anything else from those 3 months. 3 months and i cant remember nothing! is this normal? am i really depressed? since then i have stoped cutting, but still either cannot sleep or feel like sleeping all the time, i either eat continually or not eat at all. i do not feel any emotions or i cry for no reason. i sometimes have panick attacks, and still do not remmember what happened in winter. i am begining to stutter when i talk. i am 16 years old, is this just some normal teenage thing?

Most people say "It's Teenage Years"
but i personally dont believe that
i know of many people who are like you, including myself
you are not only depressed but you also have a feeling of lonliness, which is a tough feeling, you could possibly have PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), were you bullied in school previously? did you just break up with your girlfriend/boyfriend?

no i was never bullied, the opposite actually, i was confident and had many friends. Yes i have but that didint affect me at all as i did not feeling any feelings towards him, tried to make him happy i supose.

This could be a late reaction to the divorce. Divoreces are very traumatic to young people and can create a depressive disorder. Is this something you can mention to your parents, a close friend, or even your high school guidance councilor? You definetly need to seek help for this, going on with out help is only going to deepen the depression, which is never a good thing. During your teenage years the brain is changing and sometime creates or doesnt create enough seretonin. Which is the brain chemical that helps balance mood. There are alot of medications that can help you with this. If you combine medication with some talk therapy you will be on your way to feeling back to normal. Hang in there and get some help.

thanks for the advice.

I think that PTSD might be a little extreme but I think it's still worth investigating depression as a legitimate issue that needs to be addressed. Do you think that the poster is displaying symptoms of PTSD? Just curious, I'm not very familiar with it but I thought it was based on extremely traumatic events like combat or something. Thanks!

I have to say this its hard for any child to go through a divorce. I have two boys and two ex husbands. I watch my boys suffer alot I try to make up for there fathers not really being here. Are both parents involed in your life? Its like you feel rejected or its your fault; its not at all. I wasnt paying enough attention to my boys before. Are you and your parents close? Can you talk to your parents about whats going on? My son is now 18 and he went through the same things; cutting himself, ect. Believe in your self. write in a journel at least to get your emotions out; that helps me. hold your head high; life is hard but you can do it. good luck,ok

To answer to you question, no only my mum is here but she is married to my step dad now. i supose that stands for a father figure, but i find it painfull even after those years him and her togethor. me and my mum are close, but she is way too over protective as she hardly lets me go out and when i do she makes me feel guilty about it, how she was left on her own, etc etc. no i cannot talk to mum about it as the over protective thing is gonna get worse, i can as mutch as breathe on my own rite now dont want her controlling that too. have tried to write a diary but soon found out that mum read it too. which was painfull for me as my feelings were expressed in it. supose nothing i can do now. Ane thank you , will try to.

You can always talk to me or be a pen pal. Are you back east? It seems like you have an accent. Did your mom get pregnat young? Maybe she just is really protective and worried about you. I have an 18 boy though, it took me up to this year to really try to let him go do things. When hes away or with friends I cant protect him from harm. I new I had to and yet had no choice to let him . I will always worry about him and hope he makes good choices. I hope any of this helps. Good luck.

I think that might really help a lot if someone needs a bit of support. I think it's very generous of you to offer yourself to help someone out. :)

Awww. thank you for your advice and your time.

WE're just glad to be of assistance. Please let us know if you need anything else okay?

I agree with that. I think that a lot of people are quicker to dismiss teen problems thatn to take them seriously. How old are you, by the way?

I'm 26 and I had very similar experiences in high school, and had people telling me that it was supposed to be the best time in my life. Have you been to a psychologist or better yet a psychiatrist. Because it sounds like you are not just depressed but maybe (and this is only from personal experience, and from what you are describing) but it sounds like some kind of bipolar, or Borderline Personality Disorder. Especially the cutting, the feeling numb, not wanting to see people. There is depressed and then there are other things and they sound scary believe me. I've been dealing since my first memories, but wasn't given a correct diagnosis until I was 25. I would defininetely seek out some psychiatric help AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, if you havn't already, because the longer you let it go left untreated the harder or more resistant to medications you could become (also from personal experience) I feel for you deeply. As if high school isn't stressful enough. If you ever want to talk please feel free. I know from experience how painful this can be.

Best of luch to you, and God bless and watch over you.

Sammy, that's such good advice. I'm actually your age but I remember when I was 16 and depressed, I actually went to a therapist. She helped me out a lot and I think it would benefit you to meet one as well. What do you think?