I am asking this because of a friend of mine, he is leading a normal life, he has a girlfriend, he has friends, his family is okay I guess but he is still depressed, I don't know why, many people would love to have a life like his. I really want to help him out, I am his best friend but I simply don't know what to do, I feel like my hands are tied, I don't know. Is there anyone here who could tell me what could I possibly do to make him feel better or to help him cope with this?

His life is not perfect, there is something that you don't see that is causing him to be depressed.

All that you can do is be there for him, listen to what he has to say and be careful when talking to him. You can maybe make him start doing some things which are good for the treatment of depression, like exercising, going to the gym, running, cycling, eating healthy, quitting smoking and drinking, things like that. If you are able to persuade him to go and talk to a psychologist, that would be awesome, that is all the help he needs.

There is nothing wrong with him, we are pretty close to each other and I'm telling you that he has a good life, really good life. His family is kind of working too much and they don't spend much time together because of that but other than that, everything's fine. He has friends who love him to replace the love that he might missing at home, oh I don't know. 

He is going to the gym, almost everyday, we do that together as well. I mean, he should be happy, he has every reason to be happy, I just don't understand it.

How about you try and talk to him about it? If he has nobody to talk with about his problems, it could make his depression even worse. Maybe he actually wants to have a loving family, maybe that is what he is missing and what is causing him to be depressed? Just talk to him but do it slowly, don't rush, just somewhere in the midst of your conversation, tell him how you noticed that he is a bit down and ask him what is the problem, what is causing him to feel this way, I think that he will open up to you.

I agree with Nina, you could just try and talk to him but if you indeed decide to do that, I would suggest you to look around the internet for tips about how to talk to people who are suffering from depression. If you make a mistake, they can get to never want to talk to you again or you could just hurt them. So learn a bit about this matter and then go ahead and try to talk to your friend, if all of what you said is true, then he is in desperate need of somebody to talk to.

Be there for him or for her? 

You need to learn what you should tell to that person and what you should avoid to tell depressed person. Imagine that you are depressed and I am sure that you will know what you want to hear in certain situations and what you don't want to hear.

So, never ask depressed person - Ouh, are you depressed? I am really sorry to hear this, but I can help you." That is wrong.

For example, you can say to this person - you are not alone in this. You are important to me and I am there for you. That will help, for sure!

People can't be depressed for no reason. You might think that there is no reason for depression but sure that there is. Maybe some reason from the past, I don't know. You can't say that there is nothing wrong with him. You don't know. He might doesn't know that he has some issues. But that doesn't matter anymore. If you want to help him, make sure to try to bring your friend out of the house, because depressed people have tend to stay in their houses because they are depressed. I agree with Nina totally and you should listen to her, her words are totally right! I hope that your friend is going to be ok. Try to talk to him, but don't push it.

Depressed for no reason? I don't think so. But, OK. Let's focus on how to help those people. 

Depression can affect a lot of people. Some reasons are unknown as well and sometimes our friends won't let us know that they are depressed because they want to keep that for themselves. But, that is a mistake. And I think that your friend is doing a mistake as well. 

Talk to him. Let him confess you his problems and than try to encourage him to visit the doctor. But do it slowly, don't push it. That is one way that you will let him know that you want to help him.

Also, support him and he will open up to you. He'll want to talk with you after this and you should never say NO to him. You need to talk to him whenever he wants, because he will recognize you as his big support. And you want to be his support, right? 

I won't agree with everyone in here. I will say that we can never make a conclusion is someone depressed for reason or not. Personally, I do believe that some person can be depressed for no reason, but OK. Whatever the cause is in that case, if you really care about your friend, you should let him know that you are always there for him, no matter what.

Try to talk to him, but go easy. Tell him that you have noticed that he is being different lately. If he starts to deny this, just accept it and don't push it. I am sure that after a while he will open to you and tell you what is the problem.

But be patient with him.