Hi. I've read the other threads related to smegma, but none seem to have addressed my particular problem.

What I think is happening is this: When i get erections, my foreskin is retracting and my glans is rubbing against the fabric of my underpants. At first, this only caused a certain amount of itchiness and discomfort. More recently, though, i noticed a build-up of smegma. I tried cleaning under my foreskin in the shower, but this has only made the irritation - and the build-up of smegma - much, much worse.

Right now, I seem to be in a vicious cycle of irritation = production of smegma = cleaning myself = more irritation = more smegma = more cleaning = yet more irritation, etc., etc., etc. . . .

Since I took the usual advice for dealing with smegma - namely, washing under the foreskin - rather than improving matters, the situation has quickly degenerated. ATM, the tip of my penis is red and sore and it is incredibley uncomfortable.

I've switched to looser fitting trousers/underwear, so hopefully the fabric won't cause so much irritation when I get an erection. I'm also trying to ease the soreness using hydrocortisone cream underneath my foreskin - but have no idea whether this is suitable or not.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

I'm trying to handle it less, and generally by a lot more gentle with it than I have been just recently - poor thing, lol!

I was enjoying my recent increase of sex drive - but this problem has put a real dampener on things!

Thanks for any and all replies

Im 16 and i also am experiencing problems with smegma i cant pull back the foreskin for it hurts too much to stretch, i try to wash out the smegma by wiping it very gently with a paper towel soaked in warm water. i have bin able to get some out but the rest is like crusted to the skin and it hurts too much to scrub. Should i go to a urgent care clinic and get it checked out? %-) :'(

Ive heard on embarassing bodies a tv show wear a dr helps ppl emarass themselves further by showing their illnesses on tv that smegma can be cancer forming due to all the bacteria anyway as it's oil based you need to use soapy water to clean it every day morning and night and if you have it bad then wash with soap even after you pee every time if your all itchy maybe use thrush cream to help if it still hurts go to your doctor as it may be infected

Washing with soap is usually the problem. Swith to just once per day with a quick rinse with clear water. There are beneficial bacteria which inhabit the preputial space,and they should not be washed away. Their job is to prevent infections.

Cortisones can invite problems with yeast.

don't over do it with soap as that can cause mor problems.  use medicated soap once and

a while and then you should see a doctor to see if you continue having this problem

get a plastic cup and half fill it with warm water let your pecker soak in it for a while and then make sure it is day do this a few days at a time and then see if there is any change.