It started after I quit smoking almost 2 years ago. It went away after a couple months but now it's back. I thought I was the only one. Now I see it's a thing and I have no clue what it is from. I do lack vitamins. I think I will talk to my homeopath.

Have you figured anything out yet I just started having this smell and not being able to taste anything but mine started with a sinus infection and starting Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking. Ugh this is scaring me because the signs of smelling weird things is epilepsy..... Well I hope you figured things out.

I have this for weeks. Before exhaust it was strong methane smells. All started after open heart surgery for me. My stress levels are unbearable now as well.

I'm glad I found this thread, and from what I have read there are some good ideas as to what might be causing this exhaust smell.
-Stress
-Aerosol sprays (containing petroleum distillates).
-Tumors
-Epilepsy
And this answer from Druv Gupta M.D.
https://www.steadyhealth.com/medical-answers/a-distorted-sense-of-smell

Personally,
I have been a truck driver for about 32 yrs, and remember coming home and sometimes smelling diesel that nobody else could smell.
I have been off work for several months due to an on the job injury and have just recently began smelling car exhaust in the house. Nobody else smells the exhaust.
My son loves to ride his dirt bike and is a klutz when he mixes the fuel for his bike. We have just went through the house finding items of clothing that smell like gas and washing them, tossed his back pack on the porch.
I'm not sure if the gas smell is the problem. unless my nose has gotten used to it and now perceives this smell as an exhaust smell?
The smell seems to have mellowed some in the last few hrs but is still there.

Maybe there are several causes, or maybe we have all been exposed to enough petroleum products that it is in our blood and on our breath?
I am taking my vitamin D and B-12. but also will be more careful about having petroleum products around me, and be sure to set the car heater to recirculate in city driving.
I will report back if I ever get rid of this awful smell, thank you everyone!

I have had the same experience since I got a concussion in 2011.
I'm wondering if there's a connection.

Today is October 15th, 2016. I've been having the same experience for more than a month. I smell exhaust fumes all the time, everywhere, without exception. I know the smell is in my nose, it's not from my surroundings. If I hover over a pot of spaghetti sauce, simmering on the stove, close my eyes, and breath in through my nose I know the aroma is rising up from the pot and traveling up, into and through my nasal cavity, the aroma moves. This exhaust smell does not move. I was prescribed Trintellex (aka Brintellex) about the same time the smell started, but nothing on the Rx website about wierd odors being a side effect. I'm 63, healthy for the most part, sleep and eat fairly well. I guess low vitamin B is a possibility. I will say, now that I think of it, I was taking a multi vitamin and extra vitamin D, but ran out about a month ago. Hmmm, I wonder? My thanks to everyone who shared their experience. Though I wouldn't want anyone to have this smell "thing", it is somewhat of a relief to know I'm not the only one and that others are looking for answers as well. I will post something either way if taking the vitamins makes a difference.

I have a close friend who has had 18 brain (tumor) surgeries since we were kids (54 yrs old now). I recall his flavor and smell perception sometimes changing during recovery. He tells me he has never experienced this exhaust smell though. I wouldnt rule anything out, but I suggest paying close attention to vitamins, because , since my last post, i have been taking vitamins everyday and have actually went through a few days not having that smell. Right now I can occasioally smell exhaust, but its not real strong like it was. Good luck to you, I hope you will stay in touch at least until we get this figured out! I will!

Hello, I just posted above but forgot to login. Just wanted to mention, I was diagnosed with CKD this spring, and as a result of the disease I have to take a daily vitamin D supplement . So we have that incommon! Lets make a pact to take our vitamins and meet back here in, oh, say a week? :-) Hope everyone gets rid of this curse, i will let you all know how it goes for me in about one week.

P.S. as an aside, If your 50 yrs and older you need to keep an eye on the health of the kidneys, see that your urine is not frothy and everything is fine from that aspect. I hope that is not the connection here! Be well everyone!

I have it too!! I have been smelling it for months and just tonight thought I would research it- I'm not alone!!

I take 2 multi vitamins and 2 b12 every day and the exhaust fumes started 3 days ago. I literally makes my sinus and eyes burn and strong enough to make me sick to my stomach. I had a tumor removed and full hysterectomy almost 6 months ago and thought maybe that could have something to do with it, but that was almost 6 months ago and this started 3 days ago.

I have had everything you are talking about.. The car fumes are most of my waking hours but like you said if my mind is VERY busy with something else I tend not to notice...
I have had bad headache since the fume smell started and my doc is saying sinus and have had antibiotics for it but no change...?
I am worried it's a problem with my brain ( tumor) but have booked into my doctor again to see what's next....
Hope someone can help...

sorry for asking but wat was it??i have the same problem

This has been going on for 2 days with me I'm hurting in the bottom of my stomach what can I do

Hi, Debra I realize this post is old. But is new to me, I'm suffering from the same issue. Can you please share with what your Doctor Said? Thank you

When this first started almost ten years ago, I thought there was a gas leak. It was so bad one night that I called the fire department. All checked out if course. But what I have noticed is this car exhaust smell starts when the weather turns cold. This past week it was terrible and it does make me qweezy and it smells like I have been standing behind a running car. My lips get chapped and troat seems dry. I have learned to live with it.