Hi Everyone, I have it also, strangely it only happens on the way home from work in the car and just several times at work, I have read other posts online and some are saying that it might be a tumor all the way up to my emminent demise. I have an appointment with a doc early next week and will update everyone on this right away once I get out of there.

I smell them too. I take Effexor. I was told it could be a sign of Epilepsy.

LATELY FOR THE PAST FEW MONTHS I HAVE BEEN SMELLING EXHAUST FUMES AS WELL, I SMELL THEM ALL DAY LONG N D I LIVE IN THE COUNTYR ETC [LZ HELP ME WHAT MIGHT BE GOING ON THANKS

I suffered with this terribly last night, and was surprised at how my nose was stinging. I also have Fibromyalgia and was feeling small shocks throughout my body which was making me jerk. Scared the hell out of me.

I have been having this problem the last few days now and I can tell that I am trying to get a sinus infection and feel a little stuffy and a little pain around my eyes etc. I am going to try taking vitamins and drinking orange juice to help this go away.

I have been smelling this bad exhaust smell off and on for about 3-4 years now.  I was a heavy smoker, thought that was the reason, then I quit smoking, and still have the issue.  My eyes burn and water, my nose and throat burns, I take a c**p load of vitamins every day.  I've tried everything I can think of to deal with this misery, and no one else in my family smells this at all, yet when I get this feeling, I swear it is EXACTLY like being in your own vehicle, stopped behind a city or school bus at a stop light.  I wish someone had an answer of something that would work.  Last night I tried sleeping with a dryer sheet near my nose, which helped as long as I didn't get the sheet too close to my face, because that too, is an over powering smell.

I had this problem last year, it lasted all summer - can't recall when it stopped but I forgot about it until Sunday 5/3/15 when it suddenly returned - full force, all day every day, car exhaust fumes. I have not smoked in over 15 years.  When I looked online last year I saw posts that said it could be caused by an allergy - and since nothing has changed in my diet or lifestyle in the last year, I'm feeling the allergy theory could be correct since things are just starting to bloom around here...btw, I recently started taking B12 vitamins prior to the fumes starting, I had never taken any vitamins regularly.  It is extremely frustrating. :(

I am having an episode now (past 4 days) and have no clue what triggered it. In the past I had it happen 2 other times, but attributed both to the fact that I had been using spray paint on furniture. Once I put two and two together I've not gone near another spray can. I did spray around and under my love seat the other other day because I saw a spider go under there. I sit there all the time and am wondering if it is something in the aeresol cans that causes this condition. Can anyone else out there suffering from this relate it to using something similar?

Just this moment I got it, I'm trying to zone in on what is causing this. Smells like exhaust fumes in my home, I'm the only one who smells this. Yesterday I felt an extremely peaceful feeling; with a sensation of someone was pouring cool water over the front part of my brain, Crazy I know.. Tested lower Testosterone and Low Vitamin D last week. So I been taking 5,000 iu D the last week. Increasing Potassium intake to 1000 a day with zico water before the cooling sensation "not a brain freeze". No medications, never smoked, never had alcohol, or drugs. Running out of options

Forgot to mention I had this over a year ago and it lasted about a month and went away on its own.

Mine is finally starting to diminish after almost a week. I've been avoiding where I used the bug spray during the day and I'm better. But now that I'm sitting here I can detect the "fumes" starting. So obviously mine is something to do with what chemical is in the spray cans. Can you think of anything you did last time that you might have done this time? You are not taking any type of diet pills? There is something in them that can cause strange sensations in your head.

I have it also. Cant take it anymore because it's making me feel sick. I'm going to try the vitamins through.

Hi, I have had this too - about 6 months ago it got really bad & I was prescribed a strong antibiotic for a sinus infection - cleared up and I was fine until a few weeks when I got a really heavy head cold and the smell has returned and is now very strong, more so when I feel a little stressed. Have just finished a course of antibiotics but alas they haven't worked this time. :-(

I started smelling exhaust fumes at least eight years ago. Thought I was going crazy. Just recently realized it is phantosmia. I began treatment for migraines a year ago and keep forgetting to mention this to my neurologist. Seems like I experience the smells after having a headache, even if it isn't a full blown migraine. I had a headache yesterday and the smell kicked in within a couple hours. Last time it lasted for about 4 dsys. I'm seeing my family doc in 2, so maybe I'll mention it to him. I do have severe COPD, asthma and my blood test just came back showing low blood sugar and high chloride, not that having good numbers made a difference before.

I have the same thing I just took a shot of vitamin b12 , Ill keep u updated to tell u if it works