I was diagnosed with anxiety and panic disorder which reeks havoc on my stomach. Throughout these 7 years at night about 30 minutes after I fall asleep I wake up in like this panic mode. I have terrible spasms in the stomach, and it feels like my heart is beating inside. Doctors don’t want to take me serious because they think it’s just in my head. Can anyone tell me what it could be and what should I do?

There are a variety of causes of the feeling spasms in the stomach, including ulcers, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, irritable bowel syndrome or GERD. Certainly stress can exacerbate these symptoms, but it should be definitely considered when the organic causes have been ruled out. I would consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy for further evaluation. A blood test for Helicobacter Pylori, a bacterium associated with inflammation or ulcers should also be considered. Regarding the palpatations, you can consider an event monitor or echocardiogram to ensure that a heart condition isn't culprit. A thyroid test should also be considered because of spasms in the stomach. You may want to discuss these options here with your personal physician. Also you should try not to eat after 6 o’clock, to see if those spasms will be easier. I understand this makes you sleep badly and it may lead you to associate sleep with those spasms. It might cause you to fear of sleeping, which is problem, so definitely you should search for serious help.