Hi, I have a seven years old son. He gets throat ache on regular bases. The thing is I have heard that there are some severe illnesses that can affect throat. A friend of mine told me that. He also mentioned a strep throat as a serious condition. This really concerned me. Can you tell me what the symptoms of a strep throat are?

Hi, I think that you and your friend are overreacting. Usually, the throat infections are caused by viruses. In these cases, they go away on their own. The problems may occur with bacterial infections. Symptoms that point to this condition vary depending on the age of the children. In older children, such as your son, these symptoms are very severe. High fever and a painful throat are the first to appear. Very often severe difficulties with swallowing may happen. Also, sometimes pus can develop on the tonsils. If you see some of these symptoms in your son, take him to the doctor at once. I am sure that you do not have to worry. Even if your son's condition gets complicated, there are medicines that can cure it in no time.