I am a 45 year old male in generally good health, with no history of heart or other physical problems. I have been experiencing increasing pain/throbbing in my lower to middle back during highly tense situations (i.e. sudden traffic stress), especially when the adrenal glands appear to kick in. At first the throbbing was localized across the lower back (at kidney level), but over the last two years its been gradually shooting up the back of my abdomen along what feels like the inside wall of my back. The throbbing can be so intense and debilitating when it first comes on and just about cripples me, and it is as though I can feel every the surge of blood through a large vessel in my back and sometimes up towards my chest (almost feels as though a quart of blood is squeezing through a constricted blood vessel with every pulse of my heart - slight increase in heart rate, but not that much). This usually lasts from 45 seconds to several minutes after the episode depending on how intense the situation. I have seen a cardiologist and done a fundamental treadmill heart test, and I've also had an abdominal ultrasound for an aortic aneurysm, but nothing showed abnormal. I feel like I'm battling a ghost as no doctor I have asked has ever heard of these symptoms. I think it may be cardiac, vascular or endocrinological in nature. Can someone please tell me what this could possibly be, or at least confirm that I am not alone...Help!!!

It may have been kidney stone.

I thought about that, but it is a recurrent situation that happens when in a state of adrenalin rush, but no symptoms at other times. Any other suggestions of what this might be?

I too have this problem, mine also happens when I cry or am more stressed than normal. It usually is just up and down my back and it's very scarey. Today it happened while I was upset but the sensation also seemed to be in or at my kidneys as well as my back??? I would like to know what is causing this!!

Diane

Diane,

I wonder if your symptoms are psychosomatic. Try relaxation techniques, a hot bath, or massage therapy. Best wishes.

I have the same problem but it seems to come on for no reason. My mums got it as well and no doctor has had any answers for her to i assume its some sort of hereditary problem that nobody really knows about

See a family physician and get a recommendation. They may run some tests themselves or may refer you to an appropriate specialist to narrow it down for you. If it is right in the area of your kidney(s) it could be any number of things including some sort of adrenal problem. This pain and any other symptoms could be caused by any number of things. Keep in mind if all tests come back normal it may still be an issue such as "adrenal fatigue", which I have come to find out is quite common, and yet not understood, recognized or accepted as a legitimate diagnosis by many doctors. It is best to find a doctor that is both experienced as well as knowledgeable and accepting of concepts and ideas that are not traditionally acknowledged by the medical establishment. It can be a challenge to find this combination in a doctor. Yet it is well worth it when you do.

I have no idea either but I get the same thing. I saw my doctor who looked at me as though I had lost my mind x I felt stupid and so didnt persue it x I have had this for years.

I dont even know if anyone will ever read this, but I have to write to say how amazingly relieved I am to find this site.  I have had this problem after a "performance" (singing or reading) when stage fright was present several times.  It was like a wave...cant pinpoint the origin but it started up and built to a terrible crescendo of pain felt in the kidney area.  I had to double over to release it almost. 

Until today I found nothing related to this and I knew I just couldnt be the only living human with this experience.  I had this experience at least ten unforgettable times and now that I have found others I am encouraged to go to the doc again and have adrenals and kidneys checked.  Oh, thank God!  Bless u all.

Ray... I too have this problem and saw my doctor today, and he still does not know what is wrong. My question to you is..... do you ever have trouble with your prostate ? I do, and wonder if it is related, I've noticed that we see no women on here with the problem.

I am a woman who just experienced this yesterday while my boss was becoming increasingly irrational with me over a project deadline. I was responding to his outburst when my lower back suddenly became very painful and tight. I did not let him know I was in pain as I continued to defend the project. But I was angry and upset because I was reacting to his irrational behavior. Pain subsided after he left my office but it lasted a few minutes. I discovered your thread today trying to determine the reason for this pain. Pain is still not completely gone. I work out regularly and am 59 years old. So it does happen to women too!

I am sorry I don't have an answer for your problem because I have it too, but I have found a few paths to pursue on a different thread on this same website.  The other thread has many more posters, which means that surely someone or some doctor somewhere knows what this is.  I hope this helps someone.

www.steadyhealth.com/Pain_in_back_during_adrenalin_rush_situations_t205538.html?page=1