I have been experiencing terrible pain since about a week after having my surgery on 5/12/09. It starts mid-adbomen, right below sternom(sp?) and radiates around under my right rib and around my back. I was first told i had c-diff and given meds to clear that up. I was then hospitalized with severe pain and diarrhea. I was given a CT scan, a bunch of blood tests, stool samples, all normal, and told it was my body trying to adjust to not having a gallbladder. My primary doctor said I was just going to have to get used to the pain and move on. I was then discharged with a prescription for questran. Two days later I end up in the ER again with severe pain. Again no abnormal tests and I am sent home with vicodin. After 2 weeks on the questran and a week of taking vicodin I am now constipated and still in constant pain. I was referred to a GI doctor who sent me in for an MRCP, but only found a slight dilation of the duct, 7mm. I was then referred to yet another GI doctor to rule out SOD. He gave me Levsin, which quite honestly has no effect at all and scheduled me for an ERCP with SOM but that isn't for 3 weeks. I am at my wits end on what to do for this pain. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Hi erika mesh, I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain and that you are not doing so well and I am wondering what the issue is. I know that when you have gallbladder surgery that it does take some time to adjust but your primary does not sound like he was on the right track when he told you GET USED TO the pain because that is not normal! I think it would be a great idea for you to seek out an opinion from another doctor. How are you feeling now? Is the pain subsiding or are you still doing not so well?

ERIKAMESH... PLEASE respond A.S.A.P
My name is Levi and I had my Gallbladder removed September 2nd. I have had OFF and ON bouts of SEVERE pain and they decided to cut the thing out. I also had an UMBILICLE HERNIA repaired at the same time... this is where the Intestines bulge through a TEAR in the ABDOMINAL muscle. They simply pushed it in and stitched the muscle at the Belly Button. The reason I added that was that I was BED-RIDDEN for 3 weeks to let the muscle heal and I thought I was doing great. As soon as they said to get up and go on about my normal routine... I had SEVERE PAIN again. The EXACT SAME pain as before, but WORSE! My pain starts about an inch below the sternum and about an inch to my right side just below the last rib. It starts with a TINGLING sensation and then begins to BURN SEVERELY. After that it RADIATES to the RIGHT just a bit and then feels as if it SHOOTS STRAIGHT THROUGH TO MY BACK. I have had tons of broken bones, surgeries, have a BONE SPUR lodged into my spinal cord and live with pain EVERY DAY, but THIS IS something I have NEVER FELT before and I dont think ANYONE could handle! I have a really high pain tolerence but this CONSTANT DAILY PAIN sometimes makes me wish I was DEAD! I CANT HANDLE IT!
My pain is 100% WORSE after standing or walking for more than 30 minutes and driving more than an hour kills me. LAYING on my RIGHT SIDE is the ONLY WAY to keep the pain SOMEWHAT MINIMIZED! So I have been BED RIDDEN for 3 1/2 months now and I am in fear of losing my job and being this way forever. PHYSICIAN #1 (GI SOECIALIST) told me that it was a RARE REACTION to the gallbladder being removed that 1 in 50,000 people suffer from and I would gradually get used to it! PHYSICIAN #2 (GI SPECIALIST) - Told me that it was possibly NERVE DAMAGE from the surgery and I would have to live with it and he read the SURGICAL REPORT and said that my GALL BLADDER was PERFECT and didnt need removing. PHYSICIAN #3 (Dr. Raijman in Houston - TOP 5 NATIONAL GI SPECIALIST) Did a few proceedures and believes it is either damage to the thin layer of MUSCLE tissue that surround the organs in the abdomen (especially the stomache and liver) and possibly cortisone injected directly into the tissue would help and would take several YEARS to get better OR it could be NERVE DAMAGE due to a severe SPINAL INJURY in the T-5 to T-12 region and possibly the L-1 as well . He says he has come across SEVERAL of these cases where the person doesnt have any back pain AT ALL and they have discovered RUPTURED/HERNIATED/BULGING DISCS in this area as well as COMPOUND FRACTURED, SHATTERED, and even COMPLETE FRACTURES of the VERTEBRAE in the spine that have either CUT or IMPINGED the nerves in this area. The NERVES from your ABDOMINAL ORGANS enter the spinal column in this area of the spine (T-5 - L-2) and damage to the nerves/spine in this area could cause EXCRUCIATING PAIN and even cause ones body to feel NAUSEA, HEARTBURN, VOMIT, and even CRAMP. This is where I am at now.. I am waiting for DR. RAIJMON to refer me to a NEUROSURGEON as he believes this is MOST LIKELY my case. If it is, it could either take a simple surgical proceedure to fix it (Impinged) or worst case scenario is they would have to do a serious surgical proceedure AND install a MORPHINE pain pump into the spine and it would be a PERMANANT and push me to DISABILITY. :(
PLEASE EMAIL ME AND TELL ME HOW YOU ARE DOING AND IF THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU ANY... OR IF YOU ARE ALL BETTER NOW AND WHAT WORKED FOR YOU! YOUR SYMPTOMS SOUND EXACTLY LIKE MINE AND, if so, I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH!

Sincerely,
LEVI C. SLAUGHTER

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use