I have had a horrible experience with foot surgery and am receiving such conflicting information. ;( my Surgeon who was highly recommended just up and left his practice and I was shuffled to another Dr in the clinic and we are not being told what happened with the former Dr. The screw was not recessed flush with the bone in my left foot and now I am having complications with the nerves. The new Dr suspects it's the screw causing the problem and is recommending I remove the hardware after 5 months post op. I used to run up until this. I am scared to death that some type of nerve damage may occur when they are in there cutting me back open. I was also informed the right foot where the screws were put in the bone around the screw has shifted outward. UGH I've asked the clinic to take responsibility and fix it on their dime and of course they are saying the screw was recessed all the way and it's just my body rejecting it even though the images taken directly after show otherwise. I'm worried to death this will do more harm :( if you are contemplating the procedure where they break your bone and use screws... DO NOT DO IT. I will never run again and this kills me

I got the surgery and the doctor did not tell me the cons, the excruciating pain, and the recovery length because she wanted to make money & telling the the truth about this surgery will cause me to run fast away from her so she put her best face but guess what.  She messed up my toes and bunions and everything.  Of course, she got paid by my insurance and now she does not want to her from me.  she acts cocky and she is not helping me. She got lost!
Further, she performed a surgery that I did not need (bunions) and she damage my nerves now I am in so much pain, cannot exercise,  wear dressy shoes and forget about high hills.  I have to get more surgeries and the recovery is long and painful.  I have to take pain killers everyday and I have spent so much money finding an answer because the majority of the doctors out there are not honest. Most of them are a bunch of hypocrites so people have to be very careful about this surgery. 
It is 50/50 so if you have a bad doctor, you are signing a life sentence of pain and suffering.   This doctor told me that I will be ready to go back to work and I was not ready so I lost my job and insurance.  She was not honest because she wanted to make money she operated both foot 15 days apart and said that I will be fine because I was "young."  She manipulated me and mislead me.  Now, she does not want to be responsible.
I really hope that you get better and that you nerve doesn't get damage.  Doctors have to stop blaming the patients for their mistakes by saying that is your body fault.  They should tell all of that before the surgery not after but they don't do that because health is an institution and a mafia.  It is Wall Street.
You have to find the right doctor & don't worry you will be fine.  Good luck to you!
PEOPLE BE CAREFUL WITH FOOT SURGERIES!   Please....

weird. i had the same surgery on my left foot and i am two months post-op, but same thing. My immediate post op xrays appeared ok and last week (after concerns of no feeling in my first and second toe and bruising constantly) my dr. took more xrays. to my suprise, he said that it now appears that the screw is too big for my foot and a little bit is out of my bone. My big toe is also elevated about 1/8 of an inch off the ground and is locked in that position. Any ideas?

I am having the same issue with my Big toe and also my second third and forth toe go numb all the time... I broke it about 2 years ago and they had to rebrake and screw it together... What did u ever find out with yours???