I've had a bunch of problems over the past several years with stomach noises and even worse, bowel noises (I'll explain later), intestinal pain, intestinal gas, bowel movement urges.

My first problem was stomach growling which occurred usually after I went without food for a period of time. While this might sound like regular hunger noises, the thing is I was never actually hungry when these noises occur, and anyways they sometimes happened only a short time after I ate, like two or three hours. This was very annoying and embarrassing, and I took to carrying around chocolate bars, granola
bars and even sandwiches with me to eat whenever the noises came on.
I went to the doctor several times and had x-rays and ultrasound, and the doctor said there was something with acid coming up into the stomach which made these noises happen.
Anyways this problem continued despite medicine and they still happen. However they've become the least of my problems.

Over a year ago, I started having these noises (mostly in the morning in school) but instead of in my stomach, they originated from my back area, actually NEAR my BUTT, but not flatulence. They sounded like squeaking or gurgling noises. I could control them by pulling my stomach in by breathing in and holding back but this was very bothersome and distracting especially in school. I didn't really care too much bc it wasn't too bad. The term ended, summer came and went and September came, and the problem really started escalating.
The noises started getting louder, happening in morning and afternoon, and I also started feeling the urge to have bowel movements with these noises.
Now it wasn't so simple as going to the toilet to do it, bc 1/ my stomach didn't feel like if I had anything to pass out, and 2/ when I actually did go, there usually wasn't anything or just gas and a little liquidy matter.
so over time I decided to try to control the noises and bear these urges, usually waiting until I reached home to use the washroom, where I didn't pass anything out.

But the thing is, these problems didn't go away, they just continued and worsened. I also had pain in my lower left side (intestines) late afternoon and when I went to the bathroom, I had little bowel movements.
Now the noises became really bad, and they sometimes sounded like crapping noises, except that they were inside my butt. I began to deal with this by not having breakfast and usually eating as little and as late as possible, like forgoing breakfast and having my first piece of food at 11 or even 12 noon. Then throughout the day I'd eat little amounts of food like granola bars or biscuits.
This made it a little controllable but it was impossible to stifle the noises not to mention the actual bowel urges.

I thought the problem was that I wasn't having expelling all of my bowels in the morning which caused the discomfort and noises for the rest of the day.
[Now one thing about myself is for many years, I always had 2 bowel movements in the morning. Usually I'd have one and after about 20 minutes later and with some water, I'd have another.]

With these problems, I'd force myself to have a third bowel movement and sometimes it'd happen. But this in no way mitigated my problem for the rest of the day.
Anyways in school, I'd go to the washroom sometimes to try to alleviate the noises, but there'd be little or no bowel movement, and worse, the noises (and urge for bowel movement) sometimes returned.

I went to the doctor several times, got x-rays, ultrasound, stool test to test for parasites- negative, and then went to a specialist who sent me to get a process similar to a colonoscopy in that you get a tube with a sensor pushed into and up your anus.

The conclusion was nothing, except I got prescribed fibre tablets like Metamucil.
This happened over a span of a year and things improved a little.
However it was pretty bad, and it's not fun to have to starve yourself until at least the late morning, due to fear of noises. Also I'd eat only when necessary and this saw me often munching on things during classes.

The worse thing now is that my stomach is very sensitive so that certain foods like say soup or fruit, if I eat them in the day, within a few hours I'd get noises and bowel urges.
Usually I feel bloated in my lower left area, then pain, then gas, then noises and urges. The pain and urge is in my lower left side (colon) and the noises come in my rectum.
The only way to control it is to eat as little as usual or to force bowel movements soon after I eat stuff.

Does anyone also have several bowel movements in the morning OR have noises in their rectum area?
This is terribly debilitating to me and it's forced me to eat very little.

I suspect the problem is with my digestion, specifically my stomach or small intestine. Bc of how I easily get bowel urges soon after I eat things so it's like the food isn't even digested but gets passed through to the colon pretty quickly.

Here is one thing I realised:

-I had a habit of eating dinner or snacks late and then sleeping, for instance eating biscuits at 11 then sleeping at 12 or so. I stopped this and I make sure not to eat at least 2 hours or longer before I sleep. If i have to sleep at 1, I don't eat after 11.
similarly I sometimes took afternoon naps on weekends or sometimes when I came back from school, and again this would be soon after I ate lunch. I stopped this habit entirely.

Hi, I know your post is a few months old but I just found it and I have the same issue. Seems to happen randomly, I had pasta a few days ago and I had nonstop gurgling in my stomach for about 3 hours after eating. Also when I wake up in the mornings I get the same rectum area noises, feels like spasms.

My problem started around october of last year, I had taken antibiotics (minocycline) for acne for 8 months and I was just starting to wean myself off them, by taking less each day as the doctor said. it seemed to happen only when I had coffee in the mornings, and after I cut that out for a while, it seemed to stop. Then a few months later it started happening no matter what I ate, and I started getting issues with constipation, gas, and unfinished bowel movement feeling. I went to the doctor they did blood and stool tests and an ultrasound of my genital area (I'm not sure why they wanted to check that as I don't have any urinary issues, but maybe could have been some blockage in the uriny tract they were looking for), nothing came back for any tests. I just went to a gastro specialist doctor last month and told him my problem he thinks it's IBS. He gave me some "Align" probiotics to use and a medicine called "amitiza" and told him to see him in 2 months (1 month from now). I think they have helped with the bowel movements but so far not much improvement with the stomach going crazy gurgling and rumbling, as well as those rectal area noises. I am 19 years old by the way.

This problem has caused me to do horribly in school and just killed my grades. I missed so many classes due to embarrassment of this problem. I rarely leave the house anymore because of it as well, have very few friends anymore, etc. I never had this before I took the antibiotics so I'm sure that's what caused it. I'd like to get back to normal because I literally spend half my day just searching every corner of the internet and looking stuff up about this problem because it controls my life that much. Anyway I'll keep trying different things and see what happens, how have you been doing so far since you posted this?

Hi, I know your post is a few months old but I just found it and I have the same issue. Seems to happen randomly, I had pasta a few days ago and I had nonstop gurgling in my stomach for about 3 hours after eating (mine is mostly in lower right abdomen though) and abdominal distention/tenderness, but yesterday I had spicy chicken sandwich and french fries and had no problems. Also when I wake up in the mornings I get the same rectum area noises, feels like spasms.

sorry for the double post. I can't delete it. Also I just ordered paragone, it's supposed to clear out parasites and help balance with candida infections etc. I'll try it and post my results.

It sounds to me like you could possibly have IBS but if you are having symptoms after eating pasta then it is possible that you have celiac disease or Crohn's disease as well. You should talk to your doctor about the possibility of either of these diseases as well as it is possible that you are dealing with that instead.

Please let us know how this turns out for you.

Thanks for the response

I've had 2 blood tests and they said everything was normal, so I'd assume I don't have any serious intestinal diseases like celiac or Crohn's disease. Mine started happening after taking antibiotics for several months, so I think my problem is more likely to be a bacterial imbalance, candida infection , or leaky gut. I could be wrong though

Had same symptoms as original post lower left abdominal pain gas noises in bowel and stomach decreased bowel movements doctors did blood tests stomach xray urine tests and had full colonoscopy. All were clear told probably had irritable bowel syndrome have high fibre diet exercise and to live with it. Have had no fever no vomiting and no severe adobinal cramping so they think its not serious just ibs. Now i just have some slight lower left abdominal pressure or pain 1/10 reduced bowel movements say 50% and alot of stomach and bowel growling.have hassled doctors 3times and a colrectal surgeon for the colonoscopy and all said ibs so have at this stage given up and am living with it ~ as long as symptoms dont get worse ~apart from above feel fine

yeah i have the same problem. actually it's kinda weird how similar is it :S

I'm also 19 and took an acne medication for 8 months last year. (accutane)

Now my bowels are always moving and making noise. it feels like i'm hungry all the time, but i'm really not? I also have tons of gas...

I've went to see doctors, had blood tests, and I even went as far as going on a Celiac diet for 2 months - no help. i'm in college too, and i've skipped classes because of the embarassment also. so annoying. My family doctor said it's a form of IBS, but that's so vague. I'm going to see a gastro-doctor in a month.

It's pisses me off so much because it's affecting my life. I'll let you know how my appointment goes next month.

Hey. just an update from my last post

Gastro. doctor had me on amitiza which pretty much cured constipation problems but not the rumbling. When I went back to the gastro. doctor and he said he wasn't sure what to make of it and asked if it was something I wanted to bother pursuing (the rumbling and discomfort) obviously it is lol if I keep going back to the doctors office, not like I'm going there for fun you know? Not a lot of people understand how much trouble it causes, but everyone in this forum thread with the problem understands. He told me the only other thing he could think of was that my thyroids were low which could cause constipation and sometimes rumbling, so he sent me to a thyroid doctor, who gave me another blood test and said everything, including my thyroid, is fine.

Went back to my main doctor he told me to cut out dairy in the mean time, has not changed symptoms at all. I ate pasta again a few days ago and once again, loud stomach noises not too long after eating it. I also have the rectal noises and "spasming"/popping feeling there which seem to happen 90% in the morning right after waking up. They go crazy when I start eating breakfast but they go away after about an hour and I don't get them for the rest of the day.. (???). I'm going for a a colonoscopy which is scheduled aug 21st. either way this test will be good because even if it comes back normal that will rule out a lot of serious problems, and if nothing physical is wrong then I think it must be a bacterial overgrowth or something (coincides with the fact that the problems started after several months of antibiotics for acne)

hopefully everyone is improving, I will post an update when I have one.

Hi. I'm the poster of the original post. Sorry for the late update but I forgot about this for a while until recently when I saw all your posts.
unfortunately I don't have good news as my problems have worsened considerably in the past month.
I've recently developed a feeling of something in my rectum after I eat and sometimes I detect a faint fecal smell, sorry for the disgusting details, which I believe is due to stool in the rectum. The bad thing is this happens almost right away after I eat.
What I do now is to avoid eating much at work or eat small amounts throughout work but it still happens.
I don't get as much pain or noises now but it's a terrible tradeoff because giving off smells is worse, so maybe the problem has worsened. I know that bad digestion plays a big role so maybe it's that my intestines are so weak that food is passed out to the rectum almost right away?

Hi i have the same problem just today i had loud noises in the colon because i was in traffic court. i think the problem is that when we are in quiet situations like classrooms we fear the noise will embarass us and the stomach and brain work hand in hand. i considering going on anti anxiety pills for panic attacks and anxiety and see if the noises wont bother me anymore. their making noises right now and get worst when i have anxiety so if the anxiety pills work ill have to maybe change my diet for the physical aspect.

i think its anxiety that makes my stomach make noise and my instestines make noise in my lower back. they are making noises right now but i think if i take anti anxiety pills SSRI id be ok.

Anxiety can definitely upset your stomach and can cause issues. If you take an SSRI it should help. Can you tell me if it worked?

I just wanted to contribute to the thread. I've had problems with bloating, gas, discomfort, noises in the rectal area etc. These issues started when I was 13 and still continue (25 now). I've had a sigmoidoscopy, blood test, ultrasound, and have tried changing my diet (eliminated milk, but still eat yogurt). Nothing came up on any of these tests. I also have not been diagnosed with anything. The only thing doctors discovered was that I have slow peristalsis. I have increased my fiber intake, but I haven't tried fiber supplements (which I think I might try slowly). Having oatmeal or a cereal with 4g or more of fiber helps me in the morning, but once noon hits I start feeling discomfort. I find myself wanting to go to the bathroom in the middle of the day, but have a little difficulty doing so. Anyway, in regard to posts I've seen on this site and other websites, I wanted to offer some advice to anyone that stumbles upon this. This condition whatever it is can be overwhelming physically and mentally, but you really have to make an effort to enjoy your life despite what other people may think.

ng

i had the colonoscopy they said i had a polyp in my rectum and some redness in the colon. the polyp was removed and redness was tested but they said it had no trace of any intestinal disease. the problems went away for a while but for the last few days they have returned. i do not know what is causing it. sometimes i eat and will have constant noise, and other days i will eat the same thing and have no problems at all. the doctors don't think its a big deal but they don't have to sit in a classroom dealing with the problem. it has been about 1 year since this problem started for me and it has completely affected my life, it needs to be solved but the doctors dont care, I don't have any idea whats causing it, can anyone help. I am only 20 years old this problem is all I think about and worry about, I cant focus on anything else because of it.