So... i have been reading all about stomach growling in previous posts and it is stated that stomach growling is a "normal" occurance during digestion. I believe not. I have been diagnosed with IBS and also Acid Reflux. The diarrhea with which I often suffer is controllable, I have learned to deal with it. Even the cramping I sometimes get is alright. What I can't stand however is the LOUD stomach growling. It seems to occur when i am stressed out which, as you would know it, is usually during a big test in school. This however has developed into almost a phobia of quiet places! I would do anything to stop this! I almost thought of quitting school due to this last year and now summer is almost up and I am really worried! I have drastically changed my diet, exercised daily, and began to think I was doing fine then i went to a friends house, and it was really quiet and my bowels seemed to loosen and rumble around and then the rumbling and even squelching (sorry for disgusting adjectives) sounds began! i would appreciate any knowlegable help what-so-ever at this time! Thank you in advance!

I suppose that even if your growling sounds were related to some kind of disease, you would have some additional symptoms some stomachaches, cramps, nausea, vomiting, bloating and all your bad symptoms have been diagnosed as IBS-which means you have been thoroughly examined and then diagnosed with IBS and that you have no additional diseases.
Growling sounds may be caused by some kind of an infection or even intestinal obstruction but again, you would have some additional symptoms.
You may be just swallowing too much air when eating or drinking, since growling is almost always due to air presence that you need to find way to expel-maybe by burping.

Hi, although if you're still in school, even college, I think you're typically too young for this, but you could get it checked out just to be safe.

My father has Crohn's Disease. It's an intestinal disorder that causes pain, vomiting after eating certain foods, etc... But the biggest thing I wanted to tell you is that his stomach growling is soooooooo loud!!! Sometimes we can hear it over the t.v. if we're all sitting there watching it. It literally sounds like gurgling! He also has alot of problems with his bowels. He's had Crohn's disease many, many years, and there can be complications, but it's also pretty managable once you learn how to eat properly to control it.

Again, maybe not what the problem is with you, but thought you could look into it... Hope this helps!

I have all of the same symtoms. I have found huge relief from taking Culturelle. These are capsules containing lactobacillus GG. Although it is promoted to help travelers diarrhea, it works for the bloating, gas and loud growling sounds coming from my stomach and intestines. I have been using in for over a year and whenever I don't take it, the symtoms return. Proof enough for me. Give it a try!! I highly recommend it. You can buy it at most drugstores but you can also go to their website. Google Culturelle. :-D

I'm 21 and I've had this problem since grammar school. It gets worse AFTER i eat and when i'm nervous. I've been researching this lately as well, and i found something on about.com by Suzanne M. Skinner:

As gross as it sounds...all these symptoms might be a result of intestinal PARASITES.

In addition to my stomach growling, I've also had persistent acne since I was 10, funky breath, fatigue, apathy, and lack of complete clarity.

If I do have parasites, then the ties finally all make sense.

I wish you luck on your journey to health as I continue to venture out on mine.

Maritsa

Edited by moderator***web addresses not allowed

i've had this same problem for about 6 years. im really glad i found this thread. i picked up some culturelle. i take one capsule in the morning and a couple tums throughout the day when i think i may have trouble. so far everything's been great 8)

Hi guys,

Read all the comments reagarding this problem and i'm completely confused now. My stomach is sooo loud however i do not have any digestion problem or feeling sick. I cannot even say that it is after eating or drinking...it's coming different times and period of the day and do not know how to prevent it. I do not smoke and i'm a vegetarian, exercising 4-5 times a week. My digestion is very good so i have no idea what causes the loud noise in my stomach..

Any help??

I had the same symptoms! I'm 18 and it turns out I have celiac disease. My stomach would rumble all the time!! For hours, very loudly! Celiac is highly underdiagnosed. All you need is a blood test to get tested for it.

I had the same symptoms! My stomach would growl all the time, loudly, for hours! It was worse I night. I had stomach cramps, vomiting, diaherra (sp?). I didn't have them too often, but often enough. I'm 18 and it turns out I have celiac disease. People who have it cannot tolerate gluten. It's a protein in wheat, rye, barley, and oats. Celiac is extremely underdiagnosed. All you need to get tested is a blood test at first. An endoscopy comes later. I had it done and it was no big deal. My symptoms are gone!!

I have the same problem, no other issues besides loud stomach sounds with no rhyme or reason behind them (doesn't matter if I eat or don't or what I eat). No pain or anything else but loud noises (and I mean loud). What in the world would cause this....tried tums, pepto, pretty much anything with no effect.

i have this same problem too. it seems to get even worse when i'm in a really quiet place or when i get stressed out. is there any way to make it go away?

ahh i have the same probs as u guys!! i dont kno y, but my stomach always grumbles when its REALLY quiet..like during a test, and it always grumbles in my English class. today, it was SO embarrasing i had the longest and loudes stomach grumble on this earth.

Ive had the same thing!!! Im 15 and i have had stomach growling problems for years!! Idk if it is a parasite or a worm or what but its really embarasing and i hate it!!! how could i find out whether or not it is a parasite or worm? I probly wont be able to find this site again sooo if you have useful info please e-mail me about this!! my e-mail is _[removed]_

Oh and i also have gas alot...its really emberasing and i hate it...it may be because i dont burp (idk why i cant either) maybe its related? i just dont know

im 16 going into my junior year.. I have this stomach/school/quiet place phobia.. I think it started like this.. one day in 9th grade near the end of the year i was in my 9th period class taking a test all of a sudden i got this HUGE stomach noise .. i was so confused i wasnt hungry and i didnt feel sick or anything and i got so scared i told the teacher i didnt feel good and left i just cryed and told my best friend who said she got it once.. and i was thinking oh okay its a one time thing. then like the next day i got it again in my 7th and 8th period classes so i just assumed i was sick or something luckily the people around me even said they didnt hear and that i must just be hungry.. anyway when i started 10th grade i got these noises a lot during the month of october in the beginning of the year.. the first time i got them was in my math class 8th period. I read on the internet that a phobia creates when a tramatizing event happens. Thats what happened to me. I got these noises in my stomach and someone looked at me and ever since then i couldnt live down that embaressment.. so everytime i stepped in this classroom every second i said to myself sitting there oh my god please stomach pleasse dont make noises.. sometimes i got lucky most times i didnt.. i loved the days we would work with partners because no one would hear over all the talking.. my problem started getting bigger because my phobia was mostly in this class but once i started worrying about it happeneing in other classes it did start happening in other classes.. This is when i told my mom about my problem.. i missed a lot of school total with all 9 classes included i missed 194 classes this year. Its really bad. Thinking about all my classroom experiences makes me wanna cry so bad. Now im in summer enjoying every minute but now that its august all i think about is school. I too also thought about quitting school of course with my parents in the question its no option they have begun to think im letting this all get to my head way to much and im just crazy. Its ruined my life a lot because im a very very good student and could be better if i didnt ruin a whole school year worrying and running out of classes faking being sick cutting classes hiding out in bathrooms so no one would find me staying home. I didnt apply myself once this year.. i also started to ask my teachers if i could take tests outside the classroom.. made me happy but i still dreaded sitting in the classroom during lectures everyone paying attention and then me coughing and tapping drawing pictures trying to distract myself and make noises to cover up.. Im sick of worrying i want to be like everyone else and relax. I start to think now and i think to myself how am i going to go through another 2 more years of highschool like this im gonna die of a heart attack of stressing myself so much i tried relaxing and trust me sometimes i would be completely relaxed but it still happened i get these HUGE stomach noises i know epople can hear. i cant give you any help sorry because im too trying to find help i found this post through a google search of help for myself..i just wanted to let you know.. your really not alone too bad we didnt have to go through this.

I know how all of you feel. My stomach growls and makes weird noises and then a bad odor omits from my body. Right now I hate life/school because people make fun of me and I have also developed a phobia of quiet places. Some my worst experiences occurred last year during a chapter test for my A.P. U.S. History test and also when I went on a retreat just two weeks ago and had to go into a quiet room with five people and quietly meditate and pray-I was in agony and was even sweating!! To assuage my growling, I drink green tea and eat some TUMS every night; it works most of the time, but it might fail. I wish you guys luck with your struggle.