I work as a computer tech and I have found that on 4 separate occasions in the last 2 weeks, I have been sitting at my computer when the most unusual thing happened. Very suddenly my vision blurred, and I felt a very awkward surge or buzzing sensation coupled with slight pain (err...discomfort) in my head. At the same time that this happened I heard a weird sound coming from my computer, almost like a surge of electricity, only about as audible as the sound of interference from a cellular phone about to receive a text message nearby. Should I be worried? Can anyone tell me what is happening?

Responding to:  Posted by jvalley on 10/23/08 10:59 PM

I work as a computer tech and I have found that on 4 separate occasions in the last 2 weeks, I have been sitting at my computer when the most unusual thing happened. Very suddenly my vision blurred, and I felt a very awkward surge or buzzing sensation coupled with slight pain... Show full post

_______________________________________________________________________

Interesting.  I'm a computer tech as well and spend entire day staring into the computer monitor.   For about 6-7 months, I've been having some strange sensations, though not identical to above.   I have periodic episodes of buzzing/vibration/pulsation in my head at which time I lose focus for about 2-3 seconds (feels like my eyes are twitching or spinning and my brain/eyes fight to regain focus).  I've had someone look at my eyes when this is happening, but they've stated my eyes are not twitching and they see no notable eye movement.  I could equate the sensation to as described by above "surge or buzzing sensation", but I have no notable pain when this occurs.  When my focus returns, the buzzing stops or perhaps it's vice-versa. The problem is most notable when trying to focus on something like a computer monitor or tv screen, but happens at other times.  It happens at random times during the day.  Will occasionally go a day or more with no symptoms.  Sometimes the episodes are frequent 4 or more episodes in a 10 min. period.  No pattern or notable cause.   My vision has also become progressively blurred over the past few years.  I see eye specialists regularly and keep on top of my eye health, but nothing out of the ordinary has been detected.  Eye doctor has attributed the blurred vision to normal aging process.   I've been to various doctors, including ohpthamologist, neurologist, pulmonary, had MRI, etc.  Unfortunately the problem doesn't present itself while in the doctor's office, so specialists aren't able to completely analyze the issue.  My next approach will be back to neurologist for an EEG to rule out seizures.  I should note, I only recently started searching the web for answers which is why my reply is dated 3 years after the above.  Hoping to find others with this condition who may have received a diagnosis or has a solution.

Reading your statement that your condition happens when sitting at your computer has resonnated an additional concern that I hadn't considered.  I work in a building housing large quantity of computer equipment, servers, processors, etc., on raised flooring, so lots of electrical current going on under my workstation and surroundings.  There is also slight, but notable persistant vibration on my workstation from the machinery (vibration noted in any liquid substance sitting on my desk).  Now wondering if the long-term affects on my vision and nervous system from working in this environment might attribute to my symptoms?  For example, my eyes are constantly trying refocus to compensate for the vibrartion on the computer monitor. 

"I have periodic episodes of buzzing/vibration/pulsation in my head " - exactly same here - and I experience almost everything you said.
Nothing wrong with my eyes - I never had eyesight problems and even now, my vision is not experiencing any problem Yes, I lose focus , and I wish not to see the screen because of strong sensations going on in left and/or right most parts of the head. And its not like headache. Its' more like a sudden stroke or something - it experiences same as some physical pressure put on those parts of the head.
I have been looking at computer screen for more than 10 years now.

I am on a visit to US, and here only it is happening. Let me know if there's any more understanding of it. Is this due to a little less sleep or late night working at PC?

Could it be possibly solar flares?

I think you should see your doctor. The only time I had vision issues I lost most of my vision in one eye for about 15 minutes - like it was black. I found out much later that that is a symptom of a painless migraine.
I have the buzzing thing occasionally and have for many years. I think that might be vertigo. I have never heard it but have felt like I was being zapped with electricity from within my body. I take anti-depressants and there may be a correlation with that. Best of luck!