It's quite hard to explain and I only noticed it a day or so ago. Its like there is string joined to my upper groin area that goes to the tip of my foreskin just under the skin. If (when flacid) I pull my foreskin tight out, i can see what looks like string or vein that pulls tight all the way down my penis into my torso.

It has started to hurt a little but I wanted to know what it was as it doesnt seem normal. I thought it may be a vein that was hard for some reason but am unsure.

Any help and info would be greatly received! thanks!

sounds normal - the penis gets a great quantity of blood when erect. This vein you are stating could just be a main pathway for your blood into your penis. It may hurt sliglty since you noticed it since you have been touching/feeling it.

i found this post when i googled a similar problem that i am having trouble describing. i also have noticed in recent days a tight or hard string-like thing on the top side of my penis going all the way into the groin. i would have noticed this in the past, as it is slightly painful when stretched. this has never happened before and i would like to know the cause.. it's been about 4 days now without getting much better or worse. it's not painful on its own, only when stretched. but it's definitely atypical. anyone?

It's probably a thrombosis (clot) of a penile lymphatic vessel judging by what I found when I googled "hard string penis". If so, it is harmless and will vanish eventually on its own. Don't touch it or the healing process will be delayed.