Hello.I am 20 year old male. Recently I have been having a sharp pain at a point right under my left breast bone although it would sometimes occur on the right side as well. It started like 3 weeks ago and would just start for no reason. I would have pain taking heavy breathe and today when I exercised, it started to happen again. I hope this is not angina, and only Costochondritis at worst. Please post any comments

hi woodhorse22, from what you have said i dont believe you have anything to worry about regarding angina, your symptoms dont tie in at all, it may be that you have an inflammation of some sort or have pulled some of the muscles around your chest, if the problems continue then see your doctor, it may be worth trying a painkiller and anti-inflammatory for a short while to see if it helps. hope this helps

Hi, Ive experienced the same pain you describe. It usually occurs on the left side under the breast bone... but has occured on my right as well. Its a sharp pain, really sudden, and comes and goes unexpectedly, resembling a gas pain, and breathing in makes the pain worse. It sometimes stays around for hours coming and going in spurts, but at other moments I feel it only once or twice. Years ago my doctor said its something to do with the Duodeum and trapped gasses, but we didnt look into further, and I still get those pains. As i've researched, an article on Duodenal ulcers described other symptoms Ive had, like caughing up small balls of bile, constipation (which can trigger an ulcer). This ulcers can take up to a year to heal, with avoiding constipation, stress, cafeine, and other triggering things.

I am 28 yrs, i used to feel the same way about 2 yrs ago and it gave me so much concern that i had to see my dr. Who said there was no problem with me. But what i discovered was that wearing tight dress (top) causes it. But since i've been wearing loose tops, it has stopped.
You can also try this if it helps.

i was only 15 when my pain started. it was a sharp pain right below my left breast bone. and i would have to stop breathing for it to go away. i would take small breathes to see if it had subsided and it only last about 15 secs. my family is all about eating healthy so it never occured to me that maybe it was something that i was eating, or drinking. it would also upset my stomach to the point where i would have to lay down and curl into a ball in restaurants to make it go away. everyday i would drink about 3 gatorades a day because i dont like water because it is so bland. then it dawned on me that maybe it was the powerade so i stopped drinking it and the pains stopped. so i knew it was the powerade. then the next year i had gone to camp and was really thirsty but all they had was powerade so i drank it thinking one wouldnt do anything. but right after i drank it, the sharp pain under my left breast bone came back. and i stopped drinking powerade and havnt felt the sharp pain since.

I have the same problem and it appears to be getting worse. Any other suggestions? I think it is definitely colon related. I do not have the breathing issue. Any help is appreciated. I asked my Dr about it and he claimed it was a pulled muscle. Shouldn't a muscle heal at some point?

i have been getting sharp pain under me left breast that comes and goes for an hour for 1 month now, It sometimes goes to the center of my chest or the right side.And mostly happens when i eat heavy or fatty foods,I have also experienced it when i wake up some mornings. I don't wear tight tops,or drink sports drinks i have had an ultrasound done on my gallbladder witch came back negative. I am not sure what it could be i would just like help with a suggestion that might lead me in the right direction. So if you could give me any advice i would appreciate it. Thanks :-) 4

It sounds like Pleurisy, or Pleuritis. This is an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Antibiotics or anti-inflammatory medications like Ibuprofen should clear it up in no time. Because Pleruisy is often associated with an underlying disease or complication, it is always best to visit with your doctor.

I am 21 year old Female, and have been experiencing this same type of pain (sharp/dull pain center of chest usually right on breastbone area) for the past 2.5 years! It's usually a sharp sudden pain that comes out of no where, and leaves just as fast as it came. If I develop high anxiety over it, sometimes it will hang around on and off for a week. If im not really paying attention to it, it sometimes will only happen once, and not return for another month?! This pain always keeps to the same area, does not spread, and only lasts at the most 20 seconds.. I do not have any other symptoms. At 17 I used to experience alot of left sided stabbing sharp pains which ended up leading me to a Cardiologist. After tuns of tests, ended up being nothing! no answers. no cause. Said that my heart was completely normal, other than it lays slightly differently, along with a normal heart murmur. Any heart problems were ruled out.

The sharp left sided pain i've since "grown out of", and im now left with this irritating sharp/dull pain in the center of my chest that will usually come and go monthly. I've also come to notice that I usually experience these pains either right before or during my menstral cycle. or if im ovulating. Any one else experience this?

OMG! I am a 20 year old female and I have been dealing with this for time now. I would say maybe about 3 years. As time goes by its seems to me that this issue is getting worst. Everything that you said is exactly the same for me. It starts off as a sharp pain on the left side of my body directly underneath my breast bone. Its always in the same spot, never jumps around. A year ago, I decided to go to my family doctor and she couldn't understand what I was going through. Its not like a burning sensation, instead its like there this pocket of air or gas that pops near my heart.

After going to the family doctor, I decided to just go to the cardiologist and the results came back negative; all was well, they told me that my heart was completely healthy. But yet it still happens to me. As far as my diet is concerned, I eat normally, i just dont drink water. I am going to try to drink more water and see what happens.

I just hate the fact that I have been to two doctors so far that told me all was well, but yet this pain still takes place. Today I was walking up a hill after parking my car and I realized that I was getting that pain again. Normally when I sit down and relax, it goes away instantly. As I was walking up the hill, my heart began to pound and the pain felt tight, I freaked out because it felt like I was seconds from a public heart attack. As I got to my room and sat down, after about 10 minutes it went away. I just want to know what exactly is this? and how do I get rid of it. I hear some people say drink warm ginger ale, and stay seated but I havent had the chance to try that yet.

I too have been having pain under my left breast. This has been going on for about 8 weeks now. The pain at times is quite bad then it seems to go away then comes back again. It at time is very painful. I have noticed that when I have the pain my breathing is more shallow. I am amazed to see how many people writing in with the same type of pain. Doesn't anyone know what this is. I have a Dr. appt in a few weeks to see what this may be. I am also amazed that all I had to do is type in "pain under left breast" to find this amazing web site. If anyone knows that this may be please help. Obviously, I am not the only one suffering from this pain. :-(

Did you ever figure out what is causing the pain under your left ribs? I am having the same issues and have recently visited the ER because the pain was so intense and I thought it was my heart. EKG and chest x rays are normal.

I've been researching online after a 30-minute session of agonizing pain. Now, I'm on hour 2 and it only hurts if I breathe deep. I'm wondering if Precordial Catch Syndrome might be what is happening, a harmless condition. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2707787/precordial_catch_syndrome.html?cat=5 Has anybody been diagnosed with this?

its almost 3 weeks now and i feel the same pain,and even im lying on my bed i feel more pain,and now i'm afraid coz i feel the pain going up on my breast,and till now i don't know what kind of sickness is this :'(

I am a 40 yr old female going out of mind with the same issue of the pain under my left breast- I do suffer from anxiety so I have been labled! After 4 trips to the ER 1 in an ambulance- and demanding a Hyda scan on my gall bladder- found my gall bladder to be inactive.
Had the gall bladder removed and now the pain on the left side is even worse and more frequent. I have been keeping a journal of what I eat and nothing seems to make it worse or better. The pain will then radiate to my upper left breast toward the center which in turns causes a panic attack as it feels like a heart attack! I fel like I am going crazy as the doctors all say that the pain is in my head! Well when it brings me to my knees it does not feel like it i in my head. I am still afraid after a stress tes, 3 EKGS that I might still have a heart issue! I am glad to hear that I am nt the only one who does not know what is going on. The Mayo clinic turned me down as they do nt have anything to offer!!!??????
Any idas would be great!