I am having sudden sharp pain in my right upper chest, right arm, & right shoulder blade.  This is made worse by breathing.  It came out of the blue with no warning.  It really is hurting.  Can anyone help?

Hi Miss,

See your doctor NOW.

It may not be cardiac related but by your screen name I assume you are female.  Females present with different symptoms for cardiac related events and it can often be the right side or chest that hurts.

That you note it is worse with breathing is of concern.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Thank you for your reply, medic-dan. The pain vanished almost as quickly as it came. Within a few more hours it was gone. You sound like you know what you are talking about so I will go on & tell you something I've always heard: If breathing either causes or makes worse the pain I experienced, it probably isn't heart-related. You said "That you note it is worse with breathing is of concern". Please tell me why that bothered you. If it looks like I might be facing something more than indigestion or a panic attack, I would like to know about it (& I'm not prone to either!). I do not want to be labeled a hypochondriac or some kind of junkie by medical people!!!

Glad the pain has resolved itself.

About "If breathing either causes or makes worse the pain I experienced, it probably isn't heart-related" - unfortunately it's not always true.

Your symptoms fit pericarditis, an inflammation of the pericardium around the heart. It usually develops rapidly. It can be caused by an infection, or a virus. Symptoms of pericarditis usually include shoulder pain and pain that increases when you breathe.

I don't think you have it now.

Thank you for hanging in there with me while I was going through whatever it was. Things like that can be pretty scary, especially at my age (62). If it happens again I think I will just mosey on over to the ER.

Almost all of the symptoms have resolved themselves leaving only a gurgling wheeze when I exhale and deep coughing every time I swallow something sweet--ESPECIALLY chocolate! I am certain those will also go away in time.

"medic-dan" is the perfect pseudonym for you! Again, thank you for answering so quickly. I was truly scared to death!

missmarilyn