Hi! My wife complains of sudden heartrate increasing. She has some chronic disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. She is talking her medications regularly. She made significant life style changes. She walks, eat healthy food, she isn’t under stress any more. We both worry about her symptoms. Could be something serious?

Hi! Is difficult to say you what is cause of sudden heart rate increasing. There are many causes of heart palpations. It could be exercise, some heart disease. To stop worry and to find out why that happens to your wife, she needs to see a doctor, and have some tests. Only like that doctor can determine cause and give right treatment to your wife. Probably isn’t serious, but you should check that.

Its quite common and I have it also, It seems like Supraventricular Atrial Tachycardia. It starts suddenly and then after it runs its course of usually a few minuites then it goes right back to normal out of the blue. If you can have her splash cold water on her face, this has stopped them for me. Also another vagal manuever is to hold your breath for ten seconds and bear down. My mom gets these too, and this stops it in its tracks everytime for her. Good luck and try not to worry, its seems life threatening but its not. Ive had it for 15 yrs, and it scares me inot a panick attack every time, but I am learning to cope better.