I'm 17 years old and i want to start working out. My friends older brother told me that the best thing i can do is to swim, because swimming really does target all of the muscles. Is this true? Another thing, i also need a workout program for swimming, if there are any? I don't want to "just swim" in circles for half an hour. I need some proper exercises i can do in the water?

Well personally I like soccer, but yes swimming does target a lot of areas of the body.  

Start going to the pool for atleast a half hour and do these( In a lane):

breast stoke: swim back and forth in the lane 30 times( sounds like a lot, but my cousin who is 7 does 120 laps )

superman: 10 times 

frog: 15 times( kind of a silly swim move)

butterfly:12 These all very hard. If you think they are easy you are doing the wrong form( this is  definitly a workout one)

Then just repeat some of these if you finish before a halfand hour. 

HOPE YOU LIKE!:-D

Wow, that was fast :). Thanks a lot. miramontage I will try doing these exercises next week.Not sure if i will start with the butterflies but ill give it try :)

Should i go every day for half an hour, hour? Or rather make it like every 2-3 days?

You play soccer? How's that going on for you?

Is there any specific food i should be eating pre or post my swimming routine?

Well I used to play soccer for 7 years,....It just got to be so crazy and to much of my my life. It was super fun though! I'm 13 and now I do cheer and tumbling....Black flips, backhand spring, stunting, its not for everyone. I love it though because its a great way to test your flexibility limits.

Okay for your questions: I think it would be best to go every other day for an hour ,for a week, to get used to doing these types of routine, so you can get used to it. Then start going everyday except for 2 for an hour. With my cheer and tumbling I have to go everyday except Sunday and Wednsday. I only take to off to rest!

Hmmm. What I would eat before swimming is a nice smoothie ( no ice cream) mixed with some protein powder. It tastes great , but provides many benefits for athletes. After swimming maybe some carrots , and a tiny bit of ranch. Many people think that because they worked out they can instantly reward them selfs.....If they reward themselfs with a burger, fry, and coke, they just lost their whole workout calorie burn, and THEY GAINED MORE WEIGHT! So eat something healthy and your will be given results!! :)

;

First of all, do noteat anything with red sauce or drink soda before swimming. Also, eat about forty minutes to an hour before swimming. Here is what I did today: 300 warm up (100 free, 100 breaststroke, 100 back) 100breaststroke swim 16 50s freestyle swim alternating each on 1 minute then on 55 seconds 8 25s butterfly kick on 45 seconds 2 25s butterfly swim on 35 seconds 400 freestyle swim cool down That took me about 50 minutes to complete Hope this helps!