I just gave birth about a month ago and am breastfeeding. I also just caught a sinus cold and am on antibiotics. However, since getting sick, I have noticed numerous lumps in both armpits that are about the size of peas. They are very painful to the touch and even pressing my arm against my side. They are visible to the surface and have started to turn red. Are these lymphnodes or blocked milk glands or something else? I can hardly even nurse my son. :-(

Yes, these are probably lymph glands and they usually swell when there is an infection or inflammation present. Lymph nodes serve as meeting points for white blood cells when they gather to fight infection. They swell when there’s bacterial presence and a large amount of white blood cells.

The nodes in the armpits, groins and jaw often swell when there is a distant infection because lymph glands may drain into these lymph nodes. When they swell, they are usually tender, hard and enlarged but I am not sure if they should hurt that much.

They had probably got swollen due to your sinus infection and should subside two weeks after the sinus infection had gone.

Have you talked about this strong pain with your doctor? When I had sinus problems I had swollen nodes in the neck area, not the armpits but it also close.

Do you have any additional symptoms, like redness around areolas or dryness and flakyness on your breasts? It may have happened that a bacterium entered through your nipple and caused an inflammation or something.

Thank you for your suggestions. They were really helpful! The pain has subsided with the use of the antibiotics, but the lumps are still there, but a little smaller. I feel so relieved. I thought maybe at first it was an abcess or something. I had all the symptoms except for drainage. Your comments made me feel less stressed. :-)

Hello! You are very welcome! I am glad i was helpful!

Best Regards
Lori