hi there, im currently taking a 10 day prescription of anti-biotics prescribed by my doctor for tonsilitus. i was given them on monday, and since then white spots have appeared ( i went back and they said it was probably still tonsilitus ) and there hasnt been any noticeable difference in my tonsil size. at some points they seem to have grown but that might just be the way im looking at them.

Ive tried eating cold stuff like ice creams etc to reduce swelling but nothing has worked.

im just wondering if this actually is tonsilitus or not??

By the way, my glands are swollen also. %-)

hi, this does sound like a case of tonsillitis, 5 days on I would expect visible infection to be reducing and for you to be feeling better in yourself, however until all infection is cleared the inflammation will not subside, it is advisable to eat foods that will help to remove any infection such as toast, painful but effective as it sloughs off any infection that has risen to the surface, keep on with the course of tablets and return to your docor if you are still suffering problems afterwards. hope this helps

i will try to eat toast, but the thing is, when im about to eat, i feel slightly sick and i have no real desire to eat food. and this results in me feeling a bit sicker because im not eating anything. :-(

i havent ate a meal since the drugs were given out. ive been living off small things like wheatabix.

hi, thats a completely normal reaction to an infection, especially tonsillitis, just try to eat little and often, depending whaich antibiotics you are on you can work food around them as necessary. As you have found it can be a vicious circle but by persevering you are providing your body with the nutrition it needs to fight off the infection, hope you feel better soon... casig

actually, i woke up this morning feeling much better. i noticed the white spots have decreased a lot on my tonsils, and i've been able to eat more(toast etc 8) )

I think this is the anti-biotics finally starting to kick in, so hopefully in a few days this will clear up some more.

oh btw, is there anything i can do to make my nose unblocked, because i dunno if thats part of the symptoms, but its been bugging me a lot

glad to hear you are feeling a little better, the blocked nose is probably more to do with a cold or other virus, these often weaken you rimmune system allowing oher infections to take a hold - hence the tonsillitis. Some ideas include taking a decongestant, but make sure this is compatible with your antibiotics and dont take for too long or you risk rebound congestion. Also try the traditional remedies such as bowls of steam with a decogestant oil or vapour rub dissolved in and inhale deeply, this can be really effective and quite relaxing, massaging the area under your eyes and around your nose can help get things moving as well. hope you continue to improve... casig

My tonsils are still swollen since I first got Tonsillitis 7 years ago :'( I've got it AGAIN at the moment.

I'm currently sick, and at first the doctor didn't have any idea what was wrong, then it seemed as though I had strep, and when my tonsils were not responding to the antibiotics, they tested me for mono. So to the first poster, you could have had mono.

dude im having same problem as i type this
go get checked for mono
i went today and i think its that
if your lymph nodes r swollen too then mono[/list]

Hey everyone, i've been a victim of this vicious circle as well. In the last 2 months I've had severe cases of tonsilitus and have been perscribed 4 different types of antibiotics. i lost 20 pounds in these 2 months because i cant eat. its now back again and the only thing i can do now is to get them out.. if you have reoccuring cases try to get in to see a ENT specialist (ear nose throat specialist)

i have had tonsillitis recurring 6 times over the past 5 months, it no longer responds to antibiotics and the ENT won't take them and I tested negative for mono.

not accurate at all. what a shame people cant get accurate information when they are searching for it.

lymph nodes swell when we have an infection in our body. so if i have bronchitis, my lymph nodes may swell.....sinus infection, same thing.

it is true that swollen lymph nodes while you have tonsillitis is a sign of mono, but thats as far as it goes ( a sign ).

there is no way to say if you have mono or not unless you get a quick spot and an EBV test.

Well my tonsils have been inflamed for about 5 years. My right one stays the size of about half a golf ball. Then when the season's chang like now it swells to the size of a golf ball. All the doctor told me was to either live with it or get it removed. He said I probably should live with it but the pain is starting to become unbarable.