I'm 25 and the past week I noticed that the tip of my Penis got red and itchy out of nowhere. It started mild and showers seem to relieve it for a while. It seems to be getting worse and I noticed a white substance around the head under the foreskin when I clean it. This morning I just woke up and my foreskin was dry near the end of and it had tightened and it hurts to try and pull it back and it's freaking me out. I haven't had sex in 2 years or so and it doesn't hurt when I pee or anything but I'm afraid to go to the doctor. Is there anyway to tell whether its a fungal or bacterial infection?

I had a fungal infection that started as a bright red appearance to the glans.  I finally got rid of it by wearing my skin rolled back off the glans for a few weeks.  You could apply an occlusive after your shower and try to put your skin back on the shaft while it's supple.   

You have balanitis – an inflammation of the glans/foreskin. While it is always best to see a doctor for any penis abnormalities, most men can treat balanitis by (1) keeping the area under the  foreskin clean – wash away smegma every day using a mild cleanser; (2) allow the head to dry before pulling the foreskin back in place; (3) use an over-the counter antifungal (miconazole, which is used for feminine yeast infection) works well for this; (4) apply a penis vitamin cream (health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil) after showering to keep the skin supple and moisturized and to reduce the presence of bacteria on the skin.

I am 63 years old and had a sore foreskin when I was a teenager. It seemed as if a small bit of urine would touch the foreskin,it would be sore. Retracting while peeing seemed to help some, but even a small drop could start it burning, so I started keeping it retracted more and more, and finally all the time. We had no internet or information back then so I didn't know if anyone else did that or not. Now I know that it is very common and harmless to keep it retracted. I wish i had that information back then. Finally 31 years  ago, I needed minor surgery, so I booked a circumcision. What a releif! Still glad I had it done and wish it was done sooner.

Hi Anonymous87:

It is very likely that you have a yeast infection.

Candidiasis or thrush is the name for a yeast infection.

You may try to treat it at home by:

1. Washing the area.
2. Drying the area thoroughly.
3. Applying Monistat or athlete's foot cream containing clotrimazole.