This is long, but it's my experience.  If you don't want all the background on my situation, just scroll down until you see ******

Here's my story:  I grew up in a very abusive, unstable family.  I developed a "fighter / survivor" mentallity and although I had moments of noticible anxiety.  After high school  I moved 1,500 miles away from home and blocked out my traumatic childhood and tried to focus oo getting on with my life. .  However, I never learned adequate coping / stress management skills.

As an adult, I had times in my life that were highly stressful, but I just toughed it out and kept on going.  I proudly went back to school to pursue a childhood dream of becoming a nurse and graduated at the age of 41.  The last year of college I noticed that I would sometimes need to catch my breath if I was eating or talking alot.  I would yawn alot even though I wasn't tired.

As a new nurse, I started working the night shift in a highly stressful Intensive Care Unit.  I only worked 3 nights a week but was too exhausted to function on my days off. Stress at home was pretty high and stress at work was VERY high.  After a year, I started getting physically sick, I developed very bad vertigo and had to take meds for about a year for it, I even had a mini stroke!  I switched to dayshift because I figured nightshift had been too much for my poor old body.  My exhaustion only got worse.  I cut my hours back but my exhaustion still got worse.  My CRP (a blood test that indicates inflamation) jumped tremendously.  I had a sleep study and found out that I had NO REM sleep and my legs twitched 675 times while I was asleep!  I was so exhausted at work that I felt like I'd been drugged! I had extreme difficulty with concnetration and focus. I came close to falling asleep a couple of times on my way home from work.  I left my job because I felt it wasn't safe for my patients (or me) to be working when I was so exhausted.

I experienced periodic dizziness, palpitations, extremely COLD hands and feet, became increasingly irritable and more anxious, developed "air hunger", I would get really out of breath or have cotton mouth if I was talking to someone for a few minutes. My concetration and focus got worse.  I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and very recently, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.   I just found out that I have several viruses and am starting heavy duty antiviral meds.

*****

A few weeks ago, while seeing a wonderful neurologist who specializes in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I would get out of breath answering his questions.  He hooked me up to a ET CO2 monitor - voila!!!   I was diagnosed with Chronic Hyperventilation!!  I've now been referred to a specialist who does biofeedback wth CO2 monitoring.  I'm also seeing a therapist to help me learn adequate coping / stress management skills.  Long term stress CAN make you sick!  It can weaken your immune system and cause countless other problems.  This is what happened to me!

Take charge of your anxiety, stress and your life!  I would recommend seeing a doctor to rule out any other causes of your symptoms.  It might also be helpful to talk to them about taking an anti-anxiety med - at least in the beginning until you can learn better coping skills.  Anxiety can cause hyperventilation and hyperventilation can cause SERIOUS anxiety.  Working on breath training can make you anxious too.

There is a great website that explains Chronic Hyperventilation:  ************SPAM************i-hyperventilation-syndrome.php

I believe they sell something to help retrain your breathing, but you can get a free online breath training program called My Calm Beat at: https://www.mybrainsolutions.com  They also offer a free app for iphones and android.  You have to sign up for an account on the website, but they don't make you give them a credit card.  They sell a subscription to their site, but you can continue with the free program after the 3 day trial period.

It's important to breathe from your diaphram (or belly breathe).  While retraining your breaths, put one open hand on your chest and one on your belly when you breathe so you can make sure your belly rises and falls with your breath, not your chest.

My doc recommends I use the My Calm Beat program twice a day for 20 minutes each time. 

Good luck and BEST of HEALTH and Happiness to you!

HI,
I suffered (past tense, thankfully)from Hyperventilation syndrome for a full 10 years to the point of debilitating breathlessness - and there is a solution! It's called the Buteyko Method. It thoroughly explains hyperventilation syndrome and teaches you how to retrain yourself to breathe properly. I am so deeply grateful for it - you can find out more online - but it is the solution. Good luck.

My son has every symptom of this, he has been through a myriad of tests and I mentioned this disorder to his doctors and not one of these specialist have heard of it! Do you know what kind of doctor could diagnosis this?

yes i know of a doctor that can if your in the uk but im guessing you would have to pay a consultation fee

i was the first case Barne's Hospital in St. Louis had seen. the cardiac team diagnosed me in January 2010. all local hospitals wanted me to have asthma or told me it was a panic attack. no panic attack lasts that long! my advice is a major hospital and tell them you suspect CHVS.

Has anyone tried reading and researching

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

?  It explains this syndrome and how to learn proper breathing habits.  I have developed this just a couple of weeks ago after some anxiety (I wanted to get to the bottom of it straight away) and am active, vegetarian etc....and have seen doctor a few times with nothing else wrong!  The diaphragmatic breathing exercise have helped me a lot as well as riding my bike etc. and staying active (when am not too light headed or dizzy).  Also they recomend you sleep on your side if possible not your back...anyway read all the info. that's relevent and hopefully you'll find some relief!  There is so much info. and stuff you can try, I was surprised and pleased I could help myself. I sincerely hope it helps you guys it's not nice thing to experience!!! 

I only of yesterday have been diagnosed with Hyperventilation syndrome after 2 years of hell! I write this to help all. Fpr two years I have seen endless bad Dr's and been misdiagnosed. 2 months in I urequested to see a respiritory specialist and was dismissed by my (now old) GP. I cannot stress to you the importance of getting a good gp. I have ta great gp now and in a few months i was sent to many specialist ruling serious conditions out, Finally i saw the top proffessor at the Royal brompton Hospital in London. He diagnosed me straight away and confirmed this with lung function and hyperventilation test.

I was labelled with anxiety by my old gp within the first year and they try to palm you off with ssri"s etc. But i refused as I didn"t feel at all anxious. I knew this was physical. Sadly after a year I had my first panic attack on a plane after a stressful house move and difficult time. This left me in a vicious cycle of now having panic attacks with anxiety. In other words not getting the medical care or being taken seriously by my gp eventually lead me to anxiety of which i didnnot have at first. Illness gave this to me. An infection.

I changed gp had all the tests and i was indeed right. It did start as a physical thing, The fear and emotional side came later. I am so happy i did not take drugs and rusted my gut feeling. Drugs cover but do not cure and i have started an extensive treatment of physiotherapy to correct my breathing. Now I know what I am fighting I will deal with this. It is really important to rule out serious symptoms such as the heart etc first. Once you do have the hyperventilation test and if positive demand physio. If only I had know a few months into my ill health what i was suffering from. Then I would not have suffered for so long.

retrain yourself to breath!!! Eliminate stress and know you will not die. It cannot kill you.

They say it can not kill you but I feel like I'm dying. I cannot endure this much suffering its driving me crazy and will not allow me to focus on anything else like college!

Hi. I came across this thread and I found it interesting.  There's a big possibility that I may have this.  I have shortness of breath all the time, I sigh and yawn frequently, feeling dizzy all the time.  I plan on having myself checked out by a doctor since I just experienced a very horrible hyperventilation episode early today.  I thought I was gonna die.  What area of specialization would this fall under? What kind of doctor should I look for? I don't want to be passed on from doctor to doctor and waste money for worthless checkups.  They might even diagnose me incorrectly.  Please help me. 

Hi I am 39 year s old I to have this

I do not know if I have hyperventilation syndrome I am just now being referred to a neurologist after insisting my pcp I needed to go. It seems like I've had all the symptoms of it thought and I do have severe anemia, so I would not be surprised. In regards to the pregnancy, when I was pregnant with my first child I had a panic attack having my c-section because my nose clogged, I could not breathe, it was horrible. When I had my second I had something similar, but in this case was because anesthesia ran out and they were not done, they were having problems. Third child, I brought my husband in and I talked to the doctor at time of surgery, they explained to me every single thing they were doing, they were asking me how I felt, they kept the whole situation so relaxed that I did not panic one bit and I kept myself under control having someone next to me talking to me, and keeping me calm. When I hyperventilate, I tend to shoke and sometimes I lose control. Just have someone next to you to talk to you, walk a lot and ask the doctor to talk to you at all times and keep you calm. It is important for you not to stress even if you're having natural labor.

Emily I just read your post from a year ago and I to have these symptoms you are the first person that has put just what I feel in my chest I'm 53 and have been to several doctors and test after test but they say panic disorder I guess the feeling in my chest scares me the most ... I feel like I'm crazy :( Lrjnanny

If you are still around please send me a message. I really need to speak with someone who has been through this.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have e been haveing this alot lately and its vary scary any tips on how to stop it

do you experience the heart palpitations 24/7?