I am 24 and have substantial pain in my right foot due to tailors bunion. I have had xrays and my doctor recommended surgery, however I am wondering if the recovery time is actually going to be 8 weeks? I have read online people are up and back to work in 3 weeks. I can not take 8 weeks off of work, and when I go back to work I will be on my feet 10 to 12 hours a day for 5 days a week. Any advice? Could you please recommend bunionette pain relief?

hi merissa, I am 4 weeks post surgery - I had tailor's bunions removed from each feet and screws inserted. i am still on bed rest with my legs elevated and wearing post op shoes when i walk (ie from the bed to the bathroom). i have to wear these shoes for 6 weeks in total and am unable to walk any distance right now, definitely could not leave my flat at all (but that is most likely because I had both feet done at once and have no good foot to stand on!). It is very tiring to be on bed rest and even 2 mins on my feet wears me out, so I think the 6 weeks (possibly up to 8) time to recovery (with 6 mths to full recovery), is actually going to be true in my case. You definitely wont be able to be back on your feet as you hoped as when your foot hangs down or you stand on it, it gets swollen (swelling significantly increases the risk of infection) and throbs and the pain is unbearable. Try and get as much time off as possible as standing on your feet too soon can result in damage and then you might end up needing more surgery (ie if the bones don't re-set in the right places). Good luck! :-D

I had surgery Feb. 15. I am still in the post-op boot. My foot is still swollen and I still have pain, especially at night. I would never have this surgery again; I wish I knew than what I know now. I'm taking more pain meds now than I was before the surgery.