I just turned 17 and I'm a 41 on the BMI scale. I've tried a lot of things to loose weight. I've eaten healthy and stayed active. I used to play tennis and [american] football, but I got in a car accident on the way home from practice and my arms have weakened quite drastically. Exercise is a bit difficult now because I dislocated, sprained, and re-dislocated my knee within 2 months. I also act and dance- the acting is fine but dancing has gotten difficult. I'm embarrassed about performing dance because I feel rediculous being so large- like a hippo doing ballet. I'm on the verge of diabetes and I'm getting really frustrated. My parents tell me I'm beautiful, but I'd be stunning if I lost weight. I want to get a gastric bypass or some other weight-loss surgery. Is this the right option?

people who are considering the gastric bypass surgery really need to take everything into perspective. Yes, in most cases it does work for people, but it hasnt been around along enough to know the long term effects. It changes the whole way your body works and absorbs nutrients, which could cause problems later in life. I am a big advocate for losing weight in other ways. I just recently lost a friend who was 25 because of the surgery. She died 2 months post op from heart issues caused by the malabsorption going on.