my husband is trying to lose as much weight as possible, since being obese has started causing him terrible problems with blood pressure and he is on the verge of getting type 2 diabetes. However, he’s pretty determined that he won’t have gastric bypass surgery, but instead he wants to go to dr Bernstein clinic here in Florida.

I definitely don’t think that’s the right move, and not only because it costs between $500 to $1000 per month, but because this diet is so restrictive that I don’t think many people can stick to it. And honestly, I can’t imagine my husband managing to live on 600 calories daily. If anyone was on this diet, what was your experience? Is their promise of losing 20 lbs a month real?

Hello sydney,

I was on dr Bernstein diet and it was so bad that I really wouldn't recommend anyone to try it. It is effective, I did lose 80 pounds but the cost was feeling hungry for months, I blacked out several times because my blood sugar was extremely low and I gained all that weight back in few months after I stopped the diet.

I think you and your husband should talk with your physician before starting dr Bernstein diet because it carries health risks, but also because there are medically supervised low calorie diets that have the same results.

Hello sydney,

I totally agree with anny - your husband needs to talk to the physician first before starting dr Bernstein diet. This diet is very risky because it forces your body into starvation mode, when your body starts to burn stored fat, and that sudden change might cause additional health problems.

Also, there is a very realistic risk of developing vitamin deficiencies, because too many foods get excluded during this diet. Sure, your husband would get vitamin B shots, but if he isn't drinking milk or eating dairy products, for example, he doesn't have calcium source from food and that puts him under a risk of osteoporosis.

Hi marlei, I wish it was that easy to change my husbands mind once he decides he wants to do something :/ However, after his first visit to the dr Bernstein clinic I think that might just happen. It's not so much the cost, but the fact that he'd have to go in three times per week to get his shots and have his urine sample taken to see if he is following the diet that might have scared him a bit. He still doesn't want the gastric bypass and has us all worried since his blood pressure is sky high, but at least in this situation it would be better if we wouldn't just throw money at some diet that wouldn't ultimately work for him.