What's it like? Are there a lot of different recipes you can use it in?

TVP = Textured Vegetable Protein

I bought it and used it only once. Threw it away.

I have heard that it can cause gastric distress if consumed in too large quantities.

That's about all I need to know about it!

i used to use it all the time in chili and spaghetti sauce. it's like, 3 steps down from the ultra-lean ground turkey tastewise.

something was just missing from it...like flavor.

i used it though and actually, we all got used to it.

I know Alan would banish me from his kitchen, but it's okay in chili too.

Why don't you use it anymore?

Why don't you use it anymore?
i used this exclusively for years when we did the (modified) vegetarian thing. i really needed to add more sources of protein to my kids' diets so it was out with the TVP and in with bonelss chicken breasts and ground turkey. i don't really miss it that much. :umno:

I was just wondering cuz it sounds icky. :umno:

I don't mind it in chili. Honestly, for flavor, you'd be better off using that veggie burger recipe, grilling them and chopping them up if you're just going for the meatless. effect.

The one way I found that I really enjoyed using it was in the dried form, "bacon" flavored, instead of bacos on salad. There was a vegetarian restaurant in COlumbus that used this on their salads and it rocked.

I tried it in Hamburger Helper as a cheap test run and it was OK.

I made a batch of vegetarian lasagne with it Monday night and it rocked! Much better than my regular lasagna.

I cooked some for the dogs and they loved it!!!

What's up with the vegetarian kick? How strict of a vegetarian are you trying to be?

I'm just trying something new. I'm not being very strict. I had two bags of beef jerky on two consecutive nights. (wife bought it and didn't need it any more, so I ate it)

I tried it last winter as a low fat protein. i was less than thrilled but it was ok in some dishes or when mixed 50/50 with hamburger like for chili.

I haven't gotten anymore and i doubt i will.

I enjoy the fake meat crumbles that are in the freezer case. They make excellent chili and other foods.