I feel like a lot of the nutritional info I read concerning tri training is towards a vegetarian way of eating. Not crazy 'no animal products WHATSOEVER' but relying more on legumes (I guess because of their carb content) and lean fish for protein. When I thought I might become purely vegetarian a few years back I did some research and found that the more militant veggie people make up and inflate a lot of statistics to sell their point, so I'm having trouble making up my mind about this. What do you think?

I haven't read anything about a veggie slant. Most recommend whole and unprocessed foods; but, that is recommended for everyone.

With all the training you do, you need a fair amount of protein for recovery. A lot more then most people get. During training it is mostly carbs.

The Sports Nutrition Guidebook has a lengthy chapter(s) on vegetarianism and one of the tri magazines (Triathlete?) this month had a headline about it but I ended up buying the other one.

You can go veggetarian. If you do, realize there are much higher protein requirements for athletes.

:1:
That's a lot of soy!

And alot of beans...you know what they say about beans. :LOL: I kill myself!

my doctor wants me to cut down on animal proteins citing that they are an influential aspect to kidney stones. so in an effort to abide i'm having a vegetarian chili mac and added some unflavored soy powder to it. wish me luck that it tastes ok. :umno: the batch made 6 lunches.

Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) is soy based and can give some people wicked poopies. Just be advised you might want to incorporate soy slowly into your diet.

For realz? I hadn't heard that before, but I generally try and eat a healthy mixture of proteins, anyways.

I've done the TVP thing and didn't have any problems with it. YMMV though.

No, it doesn't bother me either but hubby has a sensitive tummy and he curses the TVP soundly when I get on a healthy cooking bender.