So one of the neighbors gave us about 2 pounds of ground venison. It's currently frozen, and I was thinking of making a chili/stew with it. Any recipe ideas?

I know I can always look on-line, but I thought I might get some test-driven advice from someone here....I asked the neighbors who gave it to us and they said they only make burgers from it.

Thanks!!!

(I don't know that I'll be able to eat it, but I'll try... )

Moose tacos were very popular in Ak.

I hope it's good meat and not gamey. I've only had venison once and it was great.

Venison Sloppy joes?

Ground Venison Meatloaf 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 large onion, finely chopped 1 1/2 pounds ground venison 3/4 pound ground pork 1/2 cup soft fresh bread crumbs 1/3 cup milk 1 teaspoon salt 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1/3 cup plum jam, finely chopped 2 tablespoons bourbon 1 large egg Preheat oven to 350oF Lightly grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan; set aside. Heat oil in large skillet over low heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. cool to room temperature. Add venison, pork, bread crumbs, milk. salt, sage, allspice, pepper, jam, bourbon and egg; mix well to combine. Transfer mixture to prepared loaf pan. Pack down and smooth top. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour or until firm and cooked through. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Carefully drain. Invert loaf onto serving platter. Serve hot, at room temperature or chilled. Makes 8 servings.

Well, I got tricked into eating it (as steaks) once when I was a kid and don't remember it...I was going to try to surprise the S/O with something made from the venison, but also something appropriate for the unusually cool temps (since we won't be seeing those for a while in a few weeks!). He's been working really hard and I thought a nice surprise dinner might be in order.

If I could sneak in the (restaurant) kitchen and ask chef I'm sure I'd get something wonderful. The issue is being able to get back there during a non-peak hour.

Grag - I just saw this after I posted. That sounds awesome....he loves good meatloaf with a bit of a "twist" and that sounds perfect. I'm going to try it this weekend!

Thanks!!

One more q...wonder if you could sub ground chicken or turkey for the pork and then add more oil if needed...

If you do, you will prolly have to adjust the seasonings up a little higher too, since both ground turkey and chicken are pretty flavorless. I've done regular meatloaf with half lean ground beef and half ground turkey and just put a little more in than it called for, plus used the Italian seasoned breadcrumbs instead of plain ones and it worked well.