Today I'm supposed to go for my long run, which right now is 4.5 miles. A buddy calls and says let's play tennis. I haven't played in a while and cave in and say yes. We're going to play singles for 2 hours. Now I know that after 2 hrs of singles I'll no longer have the gas to finish 4.5 miles later on today, but if I go for say 30-40 minutes, to what extent might the combination of tennis and the shorter run have the same effect of the longer run? Any input? thanks
gocubbies

We'll if you are playing 4.5 singles it might be close to the same thing.

Actually, I don't think tennis would be a good crosstraining activity. It gets your heartrate up but there is a lot of go then rest time. I think if you were a sprinter it would be a much better activity.

That being said, playing a game of tennis can be a great stress reliever and give you a break from running.

I think I'd go and play the tennis, have a good time with your friend, and take the run as slow as you want...I don't think it will have much of an effect on your training. You may be a bit winded, but you can always take it slower than usual when you run.

good question.

I'd just play and shorten my run a little.

the good thing to do, would be to run first, and then go play some tennis.

:1: I know I'm too late with my reply, but I'd get the run in first and just do it very slowly so I'd still have something left in the tank for tennis later.