What does a person do when they don't know if their test strips are ok to use?  I am a type 2 diabetic and I have to check my blood sugar like 4 times a day.  I keep getting weird results on my testing meter when I check my blood sugar.  I take it in the morning and I get like a reading of 21 which I know isn't right because I feel just fine.  I am not lethargic or about to pass out.  Then I take it again and it will read 4.  It is way wacked out.  I don't know if it is my meter or my testing strips that are messed up.  How do I know which one is bad?  I don't want to get more testing strip and have it be the meter or I don't want to get a new meter if I don't have to either.  I am on a limited budget so I have to watch every penny.  What do you do to figure it out for sure?  Any advice?

Hello, Guest.... You should have a bottle of blue control solution that was included with your control strips.  If not, you may want to go to your pharmacy and get a bottle.  This is used to check your test strips to make sure they are still good.  Once you get it, you will need to take your bottle of solution and put a drop of it on your test strip.  There will be parameters on the bottle that should tell you the range of the solution.  If it is off, you can presume the test strips are bad.  If you get a new bottle of test strips, you will want to run the test again.  If the test strip control test still isn't coming out right, you should consider getting a new meter.  Meters are relatively cheap nowadays so you can get one without too much of a dent in the pocketbook. 

I found out my test strips were bad, I kept having unusual blood sugar readings and I thought what was I doing to mess my sugars up?  Someone told me to double-check my test strips to make sure they were ok, and I did the control test and sure enough there was a problem with my test strips.  So now I do my test control if my sugars are not as they should