If you could change anything in your past, what would it be and how would that make your life better today? Do you live in the past sometimes? Do you dream about the past too much. I think that a lot of us do and it keeps us from some of the opportunities in the future. Have you thought about whether or not you need to archive the past in your mind so that you can move forward. Are you missing out on anything in the present because of your past experiences.

I don't think that I would change anything in my past. If I did anything differently, I would probably not be in the place I am now. I think that it's hard to deal with because your life can be filled with regrets if you look at the past and think about what you could've done differently then you will be unable to move forward into the future so it's best to let it go.

I agree. There is a saying that goes, "Don't miss today, by lingering in thoughts of yesterday." I agree so much. We can't change yesterday and like you've said, we wouldn't be who we are today. Experiences, good or bad, make us richer and more developed individuals. Unfortunately, we often refer to experiences as baggage. It's not the experiences that are baggage, it's our responses to experiences that can become the baggage.

Well living in past will not do anything good. Thinking of some mistakes that you have don can help you by not doing it again. :-) If you know that you have done something wrong, you can always be reminded of that so it does not happen to you again.
I really don't think that living in the past will help you in the present. You need to focus on present and future. Plan your future with out mistakes that you have done earlier.
I that is a very nice saying dsdesk. :-)

How important do you guys think the past is in terms of helping us in the future. With that being said, do we need to focus more on the past so that we don't repeat mistakes? We shouldn't dwell on it, but isn't it important to remember where we came from. I know we hear that a lot, but it is something to think about. What do you think?

There is not a single time when i don't remember where i came from. My childhood was bad and it helps me not to make the same mistakes with my kids that my mother made with me. Granted, i am not perfect and i will never profess to be, i have made a million mistakes and have had to ask forgiveness many times, but i am not beneath asking to be forgiven, nor am i above giving it.
Sadly enough, my past has kept me grounded and has made me the sensitive and loving person that i am today. I make it a point to look for some good in every single person i meet, no matter how insignificant.
I would never want the kind of relationship with my kids that i suffered thru with my mother. My mom passed in March of this year, i did not cry and i was not thrown when i got the call. I want my kids to miss me and think of me every day, not to be releived when i am no longer here. I have no plans to leave this world anytime soon, but when my time comes, i want my kids to remember me with love and to be able to smile when they talk about my life. I want to pass thru their minds when they do something that i tought them, or make a favorite dish of mine.
I will always remember where i came from, it's a lesson for me and it's one that i will never forget.

I've couldn't agree more, bbfeet.
I have a really loving and supporting mother and father, and I had very nice childhood (I'm sorry to hear so opposite from you). And it is very important for me to know where I came from. And not just me, also my father and mother, to see how they struggled through life and how they made it through. This is important lesson and it guides me in my life. It helps me to do better and not to make some mistakes.
Does anybody else have some experience in this way?