People, my cat is seven years old and she has never been so sick like she is in the past three months.

Oh, I forgot to tell you – My name is Carla, I am 28 years old and my cat is seven years old. I don’t have idea what breed she is.

She keeps getting this awful bladder infection and I think that I am helpless with this. She is in the pain and sometimes I think that I see the blood in her urine.

I am taking a good care of her and I think that I am feeding her properly.

I don’t know what is going on. Do you know what causes bladder infections in older cats?

Hey Carla.

It can be serious problem especially in older cats. They pee a lot and it hurts a lot.

I am not so sure about this but a lot of my friends told me that the main cause is stress. I could swear that causes are stones or even infections.

I mean they are but I didn’t know that stress can cause this.

According to them stress can be a trigger in many cases and it can cause really painful symptoms.

Those symptoms are very similar to interstitial cystitis that occurs in humans as well.  

You should know that urinary tract disease can progress very, very fast so you need to find the way to visit the vet and tell him about problem that bothers your cat.

Hey everyone.

I think that there is no difference of bladder infection in older or younger cats. It is all pretty much the same.  I am talking about causes.

But in the treatment and later in life older cats are more threatened.  This problem is very common in cats. Some of the causes are feline idiopathic cystitis, urinary tract obstruction, bladder stones and tumors and kidney diseases.

Like I told you it doesn’t matter is your cat older or younger, it affects cats of all ages.

But you need to know that most cats who are suffering from bladder infections will not have the symptoms.

Hi there,

I’ll agree with Millie cat, the age of your cat doesn’t really matter. And your cat could have bladder infection without having any symptoms. Now, you have other diseases and infections for causes and you have bacteria which is responsible solely for this infection. In case of this bacteria, you cannot really do anything, just try to keep your cat’s water and food clean, and keep her healthy. When it comes to other causes, like bladder stones, tumor, etc, here you wouldn’t be treating the bladder infection, but the disease that made bladder infection appear, and then treat the infection. Otherwise, the infection could come back.

Hey people,
Carla dear, you need to take her to the vet as fast as possible. If her bladder infection is lasting that much, and you see that she’s in a big pain, and you even see the blood, that’s something really, really, really serious. Sorry about telling it like this but you should be prepared for the worst. Some of the most awful causes are tumor, some big and bad infections and even leukemia. Bladder stones too, they are known to be very painful and sometimes it takes a lot of time to take them out. In this situation, you should be happy if stones are what your cat is having.

Hey friends.
Tnx a lot for your advice.
I went to see my vet. He told me that I can’t do much about it. So he prescribed some meds for my cat. I started to put those meds in her food because I think that this is the best option. I am doing this for three days now, but still nothing.
I can’t see that she is being better.
When I asked my vet this question, he told me that my cat catch the cold outside and that I should not let her to be outside while it is cold.
Is this true?

Hey dear Carla. It is your vet’s fault because he didn’t describe you clearly this problem. He can’t just tell you that you can’t do much about it. That is insane! It makes me mad. Very often cause is unknown. Defective bladder lining is a mucus layer composed of GAGs and this helps to protect the delicate cells of the bladder wall. Sometimes GAGs are weak which can cause damaged underlaying cells. It is very important to treat it because it can became chronic. Yes, stress can be the cause but only if stress is abnormal! Which I hope that this is not a case in your cat.

Hi there,

Carla, you said that your cat has been having bladder infection for three months now. And you didn’t mention anything about visiting the vet. You still didn’t visit your vet? That is so irresponsible.

You need to do that at the very moment when you read this. It doesn’t look like you need to know what’s causing it, but how to treat it properly. In your specific case, it can be some other, more badass disease that is causing this. I doubt it’s just caused by bacteria. Your cat might have cancer, or even leukemia.

Go to see the vet girl, find out what the cause is and start to treat it properly.