Diagnosis? This is an effort to be as concise as possible so nothing gets left out as any of these symptoms may indicate what this might be. First of all I have been trying to seek a diagnosis for this chronic condition for many years. I feel that I have been misdiagnosed in the past because nothing has yielded any results. I feel it is time to search the less common possibilities of what it might be (autoimmune) etc. I eventually stopped seeking treatment for this because I would reach road blocks everywhere I went. Doctors would be stumped and pass me on to the next doctor or specialist and each one came up with nothing. Following through just kept coming around full circle with nothing to show for it. All of this has killed my hope for ever having a normal life. I need someone to follow up and work with me to help me figure out what this is.
Ever since I can remember I have had very thick and slippery saliva with an elastic consistency. I have never been able to eat breakfast because it is so bad in the morning that if I eat anything I will vomit. As a child I wouldn’t even be able to eat until I got home from school. I would often have to go to the nurse’s office because I felt like I was going to throw up. They thought this was stomach related because that is the reason most people have the urge to throw up. But my problem has always been the gagging sensation caused by the consistency of my saliva that coats the back of my throat, esophagus, and uvula making me have a constant gagging sensation that I am unable to stop. Because of this involuntary reflex during these episodes it becomes very difficult to breathe and I find myself gasping for breathes any chance I get between gags (this feels very similar to choking on food). I have had to call 4 ambulances and been to the emergency room numerous times and have also passed out from not being able to breathe. Around December of 2005 (age 21 at the time) it has become a lot worse and as a result to all of the trauma associated with this I now have constant anxiety/panic attacks throughout the day that exacerbate this condition and I am unable to work or leave the house. I was forced to quit my job in Minneapolis and moved back to home so my family could take care of me. I had lost around 50 pounds in 1 months time (went from 200lbs to 150lbs) because I was unable to swallow food without causing an episode so I was unable to eat more than a few crackers a day (if that). On top of that I can only breathe out of one nostril barely and only a small amount of air can pass through like a tiny straw due to a deviated septum. It takes me 10 to 15 seconds to get one full breathe from it so when my air passages become obstructed from this I have no back up. I have had a Septoplasty surgery to try to relieve this and it didn’t help.

Medications: Ativan, Singulair, Rhinocort, Zertec, Astelin, Albuterol, Numerous different courses of Antibiotics, Sinus irrigation with Neti Pot.
Symptoms: Excessive thick saliva/mucus (clear in color) throughout sinus/throat/mouth, Choking/Gagging sensation, Thick post nasal drip (constantly clearing my throat), Panic/Anxiety attacks, Painful cysts/pimples all over body (seems to be worse on scalp, chest, back, and upper arms).
Tests done: Barium Swallow Test (2006), Allergy Skin Test (2006), Breathing Test (2006), X-ray of chest (2006), CT Scan of chest and throat (2006), Septoplasty Surgery (in 2003),
Test Results: (Barium Swallow Test) came back fine. It showed that I have a lot of trouble swallowing but no obstructions or irregularities. (Allergy Skin Test) came back with strong allergies to tree and grass pollen. (Breathing Test) came back Normal. (X-ray and CT scan) both came back normal.

ChrisGrahams, I think you should go to a psychiatrist. I have dealt with postnasal drip accompanied by excessive mucus secretion for 30 years now and with the help of medication, it is now under some control. I had all the tests and came out of pocket about $10,000 over the years with doctor's visits to find out that every doctor has their own "solution" to my problem. I finally went to a General Practice and instantly found satisfaction. I was prescribed 1mg of Xanax and 30mg of Remeron to start. I was referred to a psychiatrist who described this condition as "normal" panic disorder. If you have a weakness such as allergies from airborn particles such as pollen, dander, dust, or dust mites, these are the "target" areas that  panic/anxiety disorder will enhance tenfold. We all secrete mucus that helps lubricate and protect the esophagus and airways from pollutants. If you have allergies, although not rated highly on the Skin Test, anxiety will cause the body to react to any problematic stimuli by fighting it off with the only way the body is attacked everyday. In our case, mucus secretion is what will stop the "predator" from harming us. It doesn't have to be stress. It can be a form of diet which one ingredient consumed everyday causes this reaction. It can also be a slight allergy that you can't escape from will also increase the likelyhood of excessive mucus. By controlling the way the body reacts to stress, the mind will not go to the "go to" protection policy it has written in our minds that plagues this problem. A balanced diet, limit caffeine intake, and low sodium consumption helps relieve the symptoms. Drinking 8-10 glasses of water is not just a USRDA fact, it's the rules in this game. The more your body is hydrated the thinner the mucus will be. Caffeine dehydrates the body which causes thickening  of mucus. High sodium cause higher blood pressure. These are just a few pointers that ALL my doctors failed to look at while diagnosing me. Then I started to change my diet and gain control. Once you get to the point you feel confident enough to comfortably exercise, the body's natural endorphins will help out by making the body feel good. I am 35 years old now and have been fighting this since I was 5, and all I can say to summarize all of this is YOU are still in control. YOU will win this battle. Your body might have control now, but once all those test show that physically you are fine, then the only solution is mental. Don't let anyone say that you are crazy and all this is in your head because although it may sound like it, it still is physiological. It's just a physiological reaction, caused by a psychological stimulus.

Hello Chirs it sounds like you have suffered so much and no cure yet

mine is not exactly like yours but i do have episodes of stuff going down the back of my throat, like a tap has been turned on, all of a sudden without warning and then it makes me cough, cough, its blocking my airway and find it hard to breath,but this only happens like this at night and without warning, i wake up not being able to breath, see below if it helps. dont know what mine is either but when it happens as i cant breath think that is it. but i have survived to now and it does not happen often, my friends say are you not cocerned also that your brain might not get oxygen, dont know.

I am 5fooot 2.5 inches tall, and weight 8stone 10 lbs. age 48.
and female
had this for years, did not have it as a child.

dont get this very often though but when i do get it there is no warning when i go to bed that it is going to happen and like you, feel like i have not breathed in a long time.

when you try to breath after this, do you feel its hard to get the air in?
thats its blocked off and little space to get the air in?
do you get the same as me, next thing to happen after you have got little bits of air in is for you to start coughing, then you have all this stuff like a tap has been turned on pour down the back of your neck? this stuff is then blocking your airway and making it even more difficult to get your breath! eventually it settles down, but you could not get help at first as you cant get enough air in to move, you think you are going to die if you dont get air in and its been all blocked off.

are you the same, what exactly happens to you?

i can tell you it so clearly as it has happend loads of times over teh years now, but only about 4 times or so a year.

how often do you get it?
how manys years has it happened for?
have you been to the doctors or dont want to go?

another thing i find and this is a seperate issue, is when i have a bath, like baths, i do like the water hot and lie in it, i generally put a bit more cold in before long as too hot, but when i get out, my heart is racing, out of breath, feel weak, but this always happens to me again for years and years, if in the house, have towel on still and have a lie down or sit down. if i put my hand on my chest my heart is beating very strong and very fast. presume due to the water being hot, dont really know. but this always happens to me.

the only tablets i take is thyroxine, taken that for about 9 years and also allergy tablets, tend to take 180mg of telfast, but sometimes change them as dont want them to get used to me, but all common allergy tablets, i get these on prescription so doctor aware of them. as have uticaria and chronic rhinitis, or at least they say i do. dont take the nasal spray but sometimes taket his in the summer with the hayfever season.

its nice to chat to you, hope you are not too bad at the moment

To the OP: your condition sounds like Cystic Fibrosis. Have you been diagnosed with it yet?

I have the same symptoms minus the passing out part.  For many years, I have been experiencing unwanted distressing thoughts, coupled with panic attacks and several very uncomfortable body sensations which make me feel like I’m going crazy.  I tense up during stressful situations, throat gets tight and mucous feels thicker.  I struggle to clear my throat, only to find that it’s impossible; and therefore, I become more and more frustrated.  This begins a cycle of panic, anxiety and hysteria; irrational thoughts race through my head.  I feel so helpless and hopeless at this point. I did notice exercise triggers this condition.  When my heart pumps fast and hard, I get nervous and tuned into my breathing - BAD IDEA! The hard part is coming out of this panic state and calming myself down with positive thoughts and encouraging ideas.  Sometimes, this situation turns into a full blown anxiety attack and it takes a toll on my self esteem.  I become phobic of my body shutting down and dying.  If anyone has any encouraging words or help to offer me, I would gladly listen.  At this point, I’m losing quality of life.  I’m a mother of 5 children, and my youngest is just 1 years old.  Please help!

Try going without dairy for a month and see if this helps. I was struggling with this for years until a Seventh-day Adventist Doctor told me that if I stop eating dairy it should eventually go away. It worked for me. Since becoming Vegan I no longer have this problem. Look at the ingrediant list on your food and make sure there is no casein ( caseinate ) or whey, since these are derived from dairy.

You should try going without dairy, if this doesn't help, then wheat, eggs, soy, and corn - eliminating each a week apart to see if you notice a difference.  It could easily be food related especially since it started as a young child.  You should also try an antifungal - systemic yeast infections produce high levels of mucus and stringy saliva - and many skin rashes.  There is really no test for this, but doing a course of antifungals could do a world of difference and there is no harm.  

Religion and science/medicine don't really mix well. Since you became vegan, what other problems have developed? Anemia? hypoglycemia? Calcium deficiencies? I think that would create more problems than it would solve.

Chris has anyone in your family suffered this if so, it could be Cystic Fibrosis! 

Have you tried medication for acid reflux? I don't see where you are on any. I know your barium swallow is ok but I would definitly try it.  And you need to stay on it for like a month to see a big difference. you can get Prilosec or the generic over the counter. If it helps but not enough then you can get stronger ones by prescription.

I also have this problem and have tried every proton pump inhibator made, nothing helps and it is getting worse. I thought it might be allergies, so I take anihistamines and no change. I am so upset to see there are so many others with this problem and nothing can be done. There are days I feel like slitting my own throat so I can swallow and breathe properly.

This is what I have to it scares me to death I am affraid I'm gonna die before I can breath and finally the thick mess comes loss and I still cough and gasp for air for a few more minute

I have same symptoms but when I take gluten out of my diet it went away. Gluten is the drug of food. Take it out of your diet!

Hi all,
I have had this since I was like maybe 7 or 8. It makes me throw up some times. My father has it as well. It is horrible. I usually get it after having a cold and it would continue for maybe two weeks after the cold. On two occasions though it has persisted for months. It feels like my life is spiralling out of control when it starts. I am interested in the earlier comment about how xanax can help. On the two occassions that ithas gone one for months...(right now being one of them) i was under severe stress and some amount of work related anxiety.

I have an anxiety condition which after so many other stressors , I finally had chocking episodes due to mucus at age 63. I believe that it could very well be anxiety that is the culprit. So then the focus becomes on how to minimize that? In a crazy world where one is continuously exposed to trauma---it is hard! So get all support one can. Author--of "Pots Did Stop" which deals as a means to self -help=riddles, jokes, poems ect. norman clemens