Hi guys. New here. I've had this ongoing throat problem for about two weeks. I was just at the ER and they told me I have post-nasal drip. But the area where my adams apple is swollen. I'm a girl, but I don't know what to call it. The RN said my lymph nodes are swollen abd prescribed me cough syrup. Anyway, my real issue is swallowing. I don't know if it's an anxiety thing, but it's close to impossible to eat solids. As soon as I go to swallow it feels like my foods get lodged in my throat. I have to chew my food excessively and swallow with a drink of water. I could probably survive just fine on soups and such if I wasn't breastfeeding my daughter but it takes so much out of me. Do any of you know what I should tell my normal doctor so he could refer me to someone who could figure out what's wrong with my throat? Also, I started smoking again after pregnancy, but I'm almost quit again, down to about 4 a day, but I'm not sure if that could have something to do with it. I'm trying really hard to completely quit. Thank you. Hope I gave enough info. -Heather

Hello Heather,

do you still have your tonsils, or did you have them removed? The area you describe as your Adam's apple being swollen is most likely swollen lymph node and that happens when you have either tonsil or throat infection because lymph nodes sort of collect waste products your immune system creates when fighting an infection.

I don't see how a cough medicine could help, but try gargling your throat with salt water - it helps to numb down area a bit and it helps in fighting the infection, so it at least might be a bit easier for you to eat something. Also, maybe put the food in the blender first - it's not in any way permanent solution, but at least it might help until you get an enterologist to take a look and see what exactly is happening in your throat,

Wish you all the best,

Nicole

Thank you. I have my tonsils still. I should have had them removed, I was very prone to strep as a child. This almost feels like strep. My local hospital has a policy though, if it doesn't look like strep, they won't test for it. Symptoms or not. Kind of hoping my normal doctor will actually listen to my symptoms. Thanks again for the advice.