Hi, two days ago when I went camping with my son I was bitten by a tick. I noticed it right away and was able to remove it from my skin. Still after returning home I was feeling bad, had fever headache and nausea. I'm afraid that I might have caught some kind of a disease transmitted by ticks. A friend of mine once caught erlichiosis when the tick bit him. What are the symptoms of erlichiosis and could this fever of mine be because of the infection with erlichiosis?

You didn’t write much about your symptoms but I can tell you that fever and nausea are the classical signs of erlichiosis. The fact that you removed the tick from your skin doesn’t mean that you have removed it completely, the part of it probably got stuck underneath the surface of the skin and caused the infection. You needed to completely remove the tick with all its parts in order to prevent the infection. The erlichiosis infection is relatively easily treated with antibiotics like tetracycline or doxycycline. With proper treatment and administration of antibiotics erlichiosis is totally curable and shouldn’t leave any long lasting consequences on your health, however if left untreated it could even cause death. You should go to your doctor immediately so that you can receive the appropriate treatment. If antibiotics work as they should be working, and if there are no complications you should be up on your feet in less than 3 weeks. Good luck.