Last night I was really bored and decided to smoke a bowl of my bong and then lay down and watch a movie. I only smoked one bowl but was feeling pretty high. After about 15 minutes of watching the movie it felt like my heart was beating irregularly and parts of my body would twitch. I started to get really dizzy and started loosing my vision. I thought i was going to die. I got really really hot and felt like i was going to black out. I also had a loud ringing and pressure in my ears. I decided to go outside since I was so hot and it seemed to help for a little, but then the symptoms set in again. After about 15 minutes i felt better, but my heart still felt like it was beating irregularly.

My questions are has anyone ever experienced this before? Should I be concerned? Should I see a doctor?

You should be concerned. You may have preexisting medical conditions that predispose you to the dangerous side effects of weed. See a doctor to get yourself checked out. An alternative explanation would be the presence of impurities that are added intentionally to give you a greater high or that are added by chance, as in spraying. I advise staying away from weed and other recreational drugs as they may kill you the next time you try.

Of the hundreds of mainly young people who contact me about their anxiety disorders and anxiety attacks, a large number tell me that they have first experienced anxiety or panic attacks after smoking cannabis.

It doesn't matter what you call the drug, cannabis, hashish, marijuana, pot, blow, weed, dope, it is still a powerful drug!

Marijuana can produce paranoia... why do you think it can do that? Because it has the ability to change your brain's perception of the world... think about it, that can't be good news can it?

Dude its paranoia one time i hit 3 bowls of some weed and i smoke alot so this isnt an intense amount and I was fine but after about 10 mins i started thinking i felt pains in my left shoulder tht were quite intense and my heart was speeding up i could hear it thumping in my chest and i freaked out almost ran down stairs to into my front room thinking i was having a heart attack and then i kinda came to and chilled out and my heart rate went back. just kinda a similar strange story

I agree paranoia is a big factor here. However i would like to inquire about a really scary experience i have been having after smoking a bit of weed. I get a feeling of cold, so cold I can throw on sweaters and a down coat and get under a down blanket and not sweat for awile but rather feel I need that much clothes to get rid of the freezing feeling. I do wonder what is going on in my body during those times and i would love to get some feeedback. THANKS.

I've had similar experiences. The thing to keep in mind is this .... weed helps you focus intently on whatever it is you're thinking about at the time that you consume it. So, if you're worried about suffering a heart attack when you smoke, you're going to think about that more and be hyper-vigilant for any signs that something might be amiss.

It creates a Catch-22 for a weed-smoker because, on the one hand, weed helps calm you down and see things more clearly. It's just the fact that before you reach that calm and peaceful state of clarity, you have to first go through the phase that involves intense paranoia.

Is it worth it? Yes and no. When the journey toward highness is a successful one, then, of course, the paranoia was worth the risk. But I imagine all it takes is that one time to actually have some type of misadventure during what is supposed to be a good time and that'll change things forever. I imagine it's quite a bad trip to be in the ER during that paranoid state. God forbid.

I have smoked cannabis since i was 15, i'm 25 now. Please allow me to share my experience, this will help most of you who need questions answered. I was overweight when i was a kid, i think i had about 30-40% bodyfat because i used to stay at home and play computer games all day. At that time, people i knew were smoking this new thing in school. The first time i toked, i laughed like hell, then i threw up. I only threw up one more time after that, when i was in a room packed with smoke and been drinking all day. Now first of all, the people i was with, used tobbaco with marijuana. If you would like a ratio, it was 1/3 cigarette tabbaco to either .5 or 1 gram of marijuana. This obviously wasn't weed, or else they wouldn't use the tabbaco to help burn in a joint. This was obviously stronger weed, they now refer to as skunk or supersilverhaze, ect.... Basicaly anything crossbred through labs to increase it's potency. Anyway back to the story... It wasn't until i was 20 years old that i could afford my own supply, to be able to have a smoke everyday. From 15 to 20, i had never bonged, vaporized or smoked marijuana in it's pure isolated form without tobacco. From 20 to 25, i managed to regularly enjoy a smoke at night, hang out and start drinking and smoking, ect.... I was obviously doing more of the drug. I was also smoking cigarettes against my will just to simulate the craving to get high. I would at first smoke a whole joint, then need another one. But with cigarettes, i would need to smoke 2-3 and only when i got sick of smoking them i would stop. As most of us know, 1 joint is equivalent to 7 cigarettes-ish so you can imagine how much tar has covered my lungs and the need for more weed in my joints to get the same high.

It was only when i reached 23, i had lost a lot of weight from 15 years old, i was maybe at 15% bodyfat down from 30-40%, i was working and always moving around, i was under a lot of stress aswell so i kept smoking weed but knew as a i smoking, the more chance of dying younger. I started to feel my heart race. Maybe in the past, it was racing and i couldn't feel it. or maybe now i damaged some internal part of my body that my heart had to work harder over the years, maybe it's my lungs that doesn't allow enough oxygen through my body, or maybe it's all these factors?

Here's what happened, i started smoking through bongs, vaporizers, ect.... NOTHING! No cardiovascular side-effects of the marijuana, no paranoia, nothing. But the smoking experience wasn't the same, the enjoyment of nicotine was needed. At the time, i really wanted to put my finger on it. So i grew my own marijuana, and harvested it. (I didn't get it right the first time). I, then tried my own out, and my heart kept pumping, but without tobacco it was ok. Please bare in mind, i am no scientist, but kept experimenting with all the possibilities.

Here's my final conclusion: THC gets absorbed into bodyfat and alcohol, so the chances of being overweight or drunk will decrease the intensity of the high in marijuana compared to smoking it alone (taking the same person into account). If cannabis blocks the large airways in your lungs and tobacco blocks the small airways, when mixed together would restrict the amount of oxygen allowed to the brain, on top of the amount of work the heart is given to filter the cannabis and tobacco unfiltered.

If normal tobacco is prone to radiation whether hand-rolled or processed into cigarettes, whereas hand-rolled contains much less chemicals than the 500+ in cigarettes, then we can assume using tobacco when cigarettes is more dangerous in theory than hand-rolled tobacco when smoked with marijuana in a joint. Which i can also confirm, when i smoke both, the cigarette-laced joint gives me more of a nastier heartbeat. When smoking hand-tobacco alone, unfiltered, blocking only the small airways, i can feel a mild heartbeat, but not as intense as above. (I don't feel my heart jumping out of my chest).

When smoking tobacco cigarette alone, unfiltered again, i feel just about the same as smoking hand-rolled, except after a while, something makes u want another. When using filters on either hand-rolled or smoking just a normal cigarette, hand-rolled will last longer and won't urge you to smoke as much as a cigarette, whereas a cigarette will burn faster, have lighter smoke and you'll smoke more than hand-rolled.

If smoking marijuana in a joint, no tobacco, i get a mild heartbeat, just about the same as smoking tobacco filtered, however the properties of cannabis make the heart soothe much quicker than smoking tobacco therefore the heartbeat doesn't last as long and the buzz is enjoyable, however IT DOESN'T LAST AS LONG due to the fact, tobacco acts as a STIMULANT/DEPRESSANT, which contributes towards what kind of buzz you are having/how much you need to take. Therefore if your brain is stimulated by tobacco your mind is obviously less bored, which is what stimulation is all about, which is why most people continue to use tobacco in their joints.

Now when we bong marijuana, the buzz is more intense, but your throat is left sore, your lungs take deeper pulls compared to smoking a joint so you are damaging the lower part of your lungs aswell, however it still doesn't last as long as lacing the weed with tobacco.

Now when we vaporize it, it works, it's good, but then again your throat and the amount you inhale when you take a deep pull causes the smoke/vap to cover a lot more of your lungs. There was no way of testing a tobacco/mariajuana combination in the vaporizer due to the fact that tobacco needs lower temperatures to filter out the carnicogens compared to marijuana which needs around 50-100 degrees difference. However vaporizing is the safest way to smoke weed without any adverse effect, paranoia, ect....(in my experience)

When you get marijuana off the street, it's most likely sprayed or full of sugar-carbohydrates, which means when it burns, you are burning more trash, please remember the only reason you smoke marijuana is because of the THC. The same bud that weighs a gram can weigh 1/4 of that and still have the same amount of THC. (when i harvested my own, my stuff got me higher, and weighed less)

When smoking marijuana, it takes a few minutes to hit the bloodstream, the more you take in shorter periods of time, the greater the high, you cannot do anything to prolong the effects of marijuana on it's own, unless YOU ONLY TAKE marijuana on it's own, yes this means no eating, drinking ect... (with the exception of tobacco which was explained above) with nothing else traveling in your blood, all you will hear is just that artist playing. But the problem is, i'm sure this isn't the high everyone is looking for right? I mean it's okay, but it's not quite like the first time, right? Well forget it, you will never be able to replicate that buzz, and your addiction to find your way back into wonderland is something that you won't achieve unless you rely on luck. The fact that, THC is just one of the billions of factors that contributed towards the first time you thought your buzz was really awesome, is all the proof you need. Don't lie to yourself that marijuana gets you really high and you manage to experience wonderful trips. This is just an illusion, all that marijuana does is, STARTS IT OFF..... Everything else that happens after that is a bit like gravity, and isn't associated to THC.

Marijuana is illegal in most countries for a reason. And soon enough, if people just stopped smoking the damn thing, they would realise what kind of benefits the plant has to offer besides getting high.

I conclude that 1-2 tokes is enough for an EDUCATED person to "experience the insights of marijuana". Marijuana isn't for stupid people, if you haven't gone to school and have no creativity or imagination i advise you to stay away from it aswell, because all you will be doing is smoking a shitload of the stuff to get the same high as your friends who practicaly need hardly any.

I also advise people such as bodybuilders to balance out their whey protein diet with hemp protein diet.

Going from most dangerous, to less (top to bottom).

Joint Marijuana/Cigarette
Joint Marijuana/Hand-Rolled Tobacco
Cigarette (Unfiltered)
Hand-Rolled Tobacco (Unfiltered)
Joint Marijuana
Bong Marijuana
Cigarette (Filtered)
Hand-Rolled Tobacco (Filtered)
Vaporize Marijuana
Eating Marijuana (If you eat too much THC your body might go into shock)

MJ can't be smoked with a filter, the THC gets filtered out.

I would stop smoking weed for one it clearly doesnt agree with your body. To me this sounds like an increased rate of adrenaline that weed aswell as many other drugs cause...they don't just increase your mood from high to low its also your blood and heart rate. What you experienced had the exact same characterics as a panic attack. Only problem is when on drugs you can't chanel your mind to become aware of this which makes it even more scary. This is very dangerous for your heart as is can potentially turn into a heart attack and yes you could die. Be careful.

You'll be alrite, every pot smoker goes through their little panic attacks even I did and the important thing is to be in control and meditate its jus the weed thats what its supposed to do.. if you can run a marathon and your heart beats like crazy for hours your young and healthy and thats what you heart does it works its not ment to be calm all the time you need stimulation.. Its just a panic attack to when you feel like your freaking out its probaby the weed and sum pree good stuff too if it makes you feel that way so sit back relax or maybe go play ball or go for a walk.. when you on weed your supposed to feel comfortable about it and chill out I know the anxiety is over whelming its all in your mind really because I meditate when I get like that and tell myself its all good nothing to be afraid of because there really aint I mean you cant overdose or die from maurijuana chances are if your paranoid bout your heart go get it checked and they will tell you youre allrite and so its all good smoke lots life is short we all need stimulation thats why people drink or drink coffee its all stimulating and why not weed its harmless than the additives in cigarettes..SO DON'T BE SCARED ITS ALL GOOD>>> 8) (mellow) yeeeaaahh...

your right i bet half the bellends on here aint even smoked weed or studied it, cannabis raises heart beat fact, parinoya? not prooven but i will say this, if your a nut job and you smoke lots of cannabis and freak out then your a daft c**t, get over it

@ OP. and to everyone who is saying cannabis is bad, this and that, wrong.

@ op firstly, you got paranoid, your body or mind isnt always going to be in the same state as every other day might be, so this one time you smoked cannabis, it might of effected you much more harder than usual, which is the answer for your paranoia. fast heartbeat is one of the effects of smoking cannabis. also a question OP, were you on an empty stomach when you smoked? did you perhaps have a dry bong? that could be a factor as to why you got the hot flushes / paranoia, you aren't the first ive heard this happen too.

i've experienced something similar to your situation op. what happened was i smoked too much (joints), and i started blacking out, REALLY fast heartbeat, etc, but no hot flushes or paranoia.

to the people saying it has dangerous side effects and what not, yes, you're right, but only if you abuse it in a somewhat small timeframe, if you have one joint, given that you are an experienced smoker, you will have no "dangerous" side effects. its a load of bullshi*. cannabis is a plant, its natural.

@ hoseclamps: there aren't any dangerous side effects. but you may be right on the impurities, the cannabis could have been cheap stuff, adulterated etc.

finally to OP, chill out, keep smoking, take it easy. peace.

You got a back trip man! that just sucks!

I almost had a heart attack because of cannabis, my heart rate increased to 170 while resting, I thought I was going to die and had horrible chest and heart pain.

I will never touch cannabis again, and will never recommend this to anyone.

There are much more fun and exhilarating things in life than being stoned and doing nothing, like surfing, traveling and having sex.

Ok first off yes this has happend to me it a sucks ik but it happens Because your mind is not in normal state so anything little can make you panic you shuddnt b worried it happens to everyone likes to live. Honestly it will probably happen agian because you will get really high and start thinking about that time. If you never want that feeling again remember to keep yourself busy while high. O by the way for everybody who has heart problims don't run 5 miles while high and you will be fineeee