Does anyone know what is the best timing for exercise for BG control?  I am wanting to start an exercise program and it will entail walking for the most part with added swimming or working out with weights.  I don't want to go into a hypo so should I just workout after eating or what is the best thing to do?

Exercise is the best thing for anyone especially if you are diabetic.  You should go ahead and start that exercise program.  If you eat all of the carbs you are allowed, you should be o.k. with exercising.  If you are one that exercises vigorously, you may need to eat 15 grams of carbs before you start exercising.  The longer you exercise, the more the need to replenish any carbs you burn off.  Probably every 30 minutes you exercise hard, you can intake 15 grams of carbs. 

It would behoove you to keep an eye on your blood sugars before and after the activity until you know how you will do from engaging in the exercise.  Walking would be the best exercise to start so you can easily gauge your response to it.  You can also try the elliptical at the local Y or some free weights to tone your muscles. 

I wish you luck in your walking adventure!

I am a diabetic and I started walking a few years ago. It is a passion of mine to go work every day at the park and walk along the river, watching the birds and the barges in the river. It is very peaceful yet I do get a good workout. I have reduced my A1c to 6.2 since starting my walking program and I have lost 30 pounds. It is a great activity and something you can do with friends or your family. I would like to start biking as an extra activity someday.